Search Unity

Can't Debug After VS for Mac update

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Cherubim79, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Cherubim79

Cherubim79

I got an update today for Visual Studio for Mac, and as soon as I updated it, it did a few things to Unity 2017.2, just thought someone should be aware.

Now dynamic statements when I'm trying to get JSON data fail when I try to access an item like this when it worked before the update. I'm not sure how to downgrade back down, I took a VS update because it kept notifying me and I saw something about IoT but it turned out to be just console apps, probably a bad idea to update.

Code (csharp):
    2.         string text = www.text;
    3.         dynamic test = Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject(text);
    4.         var item = test["field"].ToString();
    It tells me "Error CS0656: Missing compiler required member 'Microsoft.CSharp.RuntimeBinder.CSharpArgumentInfo.Create' (CS0656) (Assembly-CSharp)" so I had to work around it by not using dynamic statements anymore and actually defining the Json deserialization class, that kind of makes the JSON thing a real drag despite if it's best practices or not to strongly type the class.

Also I can't debug at all. I hit Play and it builds and tries to run and then returns immediately I can't attach seem to attach it back to Unity. In the regular dropdown for targets it says "Assembly-CSharp - Unit Tests" can't remember if it was that way before but I can't seem to change it from anything other than Unit Tests. Can't seem to get it to attach back to Unity, tried manually attaching to the Unity process it gave me errors that breakpoints already exist when adding one.

Any ideas? This is on Mac, it was working fine with debugging up until that VS update today. I was on the
    November 8, 2017 version up until today when I updated, but I'm not sure if I can get back to an older one I don't see a link on the VS website only to the latest version.

2. rmassanet

rmassanet

Same thing here. Can't get rid of that "Unit Tests" configuration!

I tried deleting all generated files *.csproj, *.sln, *.userprefs, but Unity generates the solution with that configuration over again.

There are no .testsettings or .runsettings files, and the string "Unit Tests" does not appear in any of the *.sln or *.csproj files. I don't know where VS is reading that configuration from. I'm assuming it has something to do with the NUnit VS extension, but still need to test properly.

Any insight would be appreciated!

PS: By the way, I'm using Unity 2017.1

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  3. Cherubim79

Cherubim79

I'm totally stumped on this one bro. I took an update last night to another new version but I'm still getting that problem with only the Unit Tests show up. I don't like getting the rug pulled out from under me with an update, that gets me mad, I'm extremely hulk angry over this but trying to patient. Tried to look for at least a downgrade version on Microsoft's website but couldn't find one or any support without pay-per-incident.

This is one of those things with computers that gets me angry enough to do pull-ups hahah. Before I did this most recent coding crunch I managed to get up 7 reps of pull-ups now I can only get up 3 as of last night, my diet changes drastically when I'm doing coding or when I'm trying to exercise, lots more protein (especially steak and eggs) and veggies when I'm working out. It's like Dr. Pepper, pizza, and candy when I'm coding hah, gotta find a healthier coding diet.

4. Cherubim79

Cherubim79

Can anyone tell me if 2017.3 will work again with Visual Studio for Mac with Unity for debugging?

5. Cherubim79

Cherubim79

Suddenly without taking an update the problem seemed to magically fix itself somehow. I have no idea why, it wasn't working yesterday after I updated VS for Mac, suddenly it's working now without updating 2017.2 to 2017.3 (I looked over the features for 2017.3 and I think I'll wait, it's got lots of things I don't really need and I don't need any more problems after updating). I feel kind of a bit edgy right now because I don't know if that will stay put and continue to work or not.

6. greay

greay

this is a perennial problem for me; it seems to keep coming back. Has anybody found some insight as to why it happens and how to fix it?