Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't create editable copy of ttf font.

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by VinnieH01, Aug 21, 2016.

1. VinnieH01

VinnieH01

Creating an editable copy of a font doesn't work. It just creates a texture and then It gives me an error saying it cannot create the material. If I however create a editable copy of a font in 5.4 and moving the font files into preview 1 it works.

Error.png

2. VinnieH01

VinnieH01

Doesn't work in preview 2 either.

3. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Oh dear. Could be something in the alpha the preview is based off. Will look into it.

4. Inter-Illusion

Inter-Illusion

The problem could be related to the path the font's material is trying to use.
    It tries to write it to "Assets/Folder\material.mat"

Could it be because of trying to use '\' instead of '/' ?

BTW, this is still happening in 5.5.0f3

5. mediad02

mediad02

any fix?

6. keestak

keestak

Running into this problem with unity 5.5.0f3, after upgrading from 5.4.1, like inter-illusion said. Same errors with the invalid asset name and possibly related to it using a forward slash instead of a backslash. The only workaround I can think of is to create copies in an older version and move the assets to your new project.

print_helloworld and nox_pp like this.
  7. Janju

Janju

Confirmed in Unity 5.5.0f3,

Railalis likes this.
  8. Spiral-Organ

Spiral-Organ

Same issue here in Unity 5.5.2f1

9. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

This isn't a bug to be reported in the experimental preview release which is to get feedback on the specific features we document. Other bugs should be reported using the bug reporter or on the forums related to the general releases you're using.

Unfortunately, the experimentals carry with them bugs from those releases but we are not the ones to fix them. You'll get more success using the methods I mentioned above.

Thanks.

10. yffum1

yffum1

I'm having this exact issue in Unity 2018.2.2f1. Same thing in Unity 2018.2.6f1. Also .ttf fonts don't work. It says "font.ttf could not be imported because it does not contain any characters we can parse." However converting the file to .otf allows it to import fine. At some point I believe I also got .tff files working by simply renaming them within the assets folder, but I haven't been able to reproduce this daft workaround.

I'm baffled that such issues have persisted through so many versions of Unity (especially since it seems to be a matter of mixing up backslash and forwardslash).

The .otf thing isn't really a problem, but I have to change my font texture filter mode to point filter and I'm not sure how to proceed when I can't properly create an editable copy of the font. Would really appreciate any help or info!

Edit: Sorry for bringing back this old thread, but this is identical to my problem and I've reproduced on multiple "stable" versions of Unity!

Edit: Used Pixelm's workaround by creating the editable font copy in a Unity 2017.1.5f1 project (which does not have the bug and is downloadable within Unity Hub) and copying it over.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  11. jstn-as

jstn-as

The workaround seems to be the only way to get editable fonts working, and in turn, pixel perfect fonts which I need and use all the time. and it's the only reason I have two version of unity installed. This seems like an issue that should have been fixed a long time ago, and hopefully unity does fix it soon.

12. CDayne

CDayne

Sigh...... Any word on this problem yet? I am getting the same problem but with Unity 5.5.4.p.4. I get the same message when i try to create editable copy of i am trying to work on. upload_2018-9-26_18-13-55.png upload_2018-9-26_18-15-44.png upload_2018-9-26_18-13-55.png upload_2018-9-26_18-15-44.png upload_2018-9-26_18-13-55.png upload_2018-9-26_18-15-44.png

upload_2018-9-26_18-13-55.png

upload_2018-9-26_18-15-44.png

13. jstn-as

jstn-as

You're probably right, that seems to be the issue. This issue has been around for longer than a year, and all it seems to be is a backslash.

Capture.PNG

14. Siccity

Siccity

Issue persists in 2018.2.18f1.
    Can we get that slash turned around now?

15. Peter-Bailey

Peter-Bailey

I think I found another work around for setting the font texture to point. So, instead of trying to create an editable copy of the font, simply expand the font and duplicate its font material and font texture files using "Ctrl d". Then set the new font texture to point filtering and assign it to the new font material. Go to the gear icon of the new font material and click on "Copy Material Properties". Then go to the gear icon of the old font material and click "Paste Material Properties". This should paste the new font texture into the old font material. Also, before duplicating the font files, make sure Character is set to Unicode. Didn't work with Dynamic. If you make any changes to Font Size or Rendering Mode in the import settings, you'll have to repeat the process. This seems to work, but Unity really needs to fix this. Point filtering fonts is essential.