Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't create a new HD pipeline project in 2018.2.0 beta 9

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by Talavaj, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Talavaj

Talavaj

Whenever I attempt to create a new HD project on a fresh install of beta 9 I get the following error:

package manage error.jpg

I can proceed, but only end up with a broken project and just over a hundred of errors, most referencing Common.hlsl which cannot be opened, and a non-existent assembly com.unity.render-pipelines.core.Runtime.

I can create a HD project just fine in 2018.1 and the recently released Book of The Dead environment also works just fine on the beta 9 build for me.
    What gives?

2. elbows

elbows

How exactly are you creating the new project and getting HD pipeline into it?

Best to use the package manager GUI. I'm guessing maybe you manually edited your manifest to use version 2.0.0? That version isnt available in package manager, as of the time of me writing this the 2.x versions I see are 2.0.1 and 2.0.3.

3. petersx

petersx

I confirm - the same - new project from HD RP Preview working fine, but can't upgrade hd pipeline by package maganger - flood of errors

4. Talavaj

Talavaj

Normally.
    I installed a fresh version of beta 9 and this is what I get the moment I create a new project on startup. (without adding any packages)
    Same thing happens when I attempt to create a new project in editor.
    This issue is present in all of the [preview] templates, I'm only allowed to create the 2D and 3D project template without issues.

Oddly, updating a 2018.1 HD RP project seems to work just fine for me.

5. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Can you be more specific in your reproduction steps? I just tried this:
    -------
    Just installed beta 9:
    -Loaded up a new project using the HD template
    -It uses 1.1.10 version of SRP, linked direct in the template.
    -Loads properly

Went into packman and updated to version 2.0.3
    -Things update / reimport.
    -Restart Unity
    -It works properly

6. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

7. sabari_2

sabari_2

same error . @Tim-C i am also getting the same error. I got in MacOs.

8. petersx

petersx

please install first beta8, update all hdrp packages, then install beta9 and than ... ?

I think, that placing all packages outside project folders is not good idea.
    If packages were in project folders it will be less errors - new project - fresh version not affected by previous projects.

9. elbows

elbows

Its a fascinating mystery to me too, because I think I understand the package manager and the templates reasonably well, and it doesnt make much sense. The only place I have seen 2.0.0 is in the Book of the Dead Environment, and I've tried every combination of creating new projects with 2018.2b9 on both windows and mac, without getting the problem.

I would love to see the manifest.json file from the Packages folder of the projects people are having this problem with.

10. elbows

elbows

Honestly, I can imagine some scenarios where issues are possible on this front, but I cant see how this is one of them.

Yes packages are stored in a central cache location, but different versions of the same package are kept. And the wrong ones shouldnt be used, because thats down to the version numbers in your manifest file.

And, for example, when we are talking about projects that come from a template, these are also controlled by version numbers used in manifest files.

eg on the mac, I can see what version of HD pipeline the High-definition RP Template is setup to use, by looking at the contents of the following file:

/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2018.2.0b9/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/ProjectTemplates/com.unity.template.hd/Packages/manifest.json

And thts what should also end up in your own projects manifest. So, we still have few clues about where version 2.0.0 references are coming from, no matter how many other versions of pipelines you've ever used on that computer, or what previous versions of the 2018.2 beta were installed before.

11. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

Hi Talavaj, where did you get that beta 9 version from? Did you install it from the Hub or using the download assistant? Also, can you go to the Help/About dialog box and press "alt/option" and give me the number in parenthesis next to 2018.2.0b9?

12. Talavaj

Talavaj

This is the link I got it from:
    http://beta.unity3d.com/download/3b5ad740cdc8/UnityDownloadAssistant.exe

It's the windows download assistant from additional downloads on the beta page. ( https://unity3d.com/unity/beta-download )
    I'll just re-install using the Unity Hub, perhaps the link I used is some oddball build that was left over by accident.

As for number in parenthesis, there isn't any.
    All about says is "Version 2018.2.0b9 Personal".

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  13. elbows

elbows

Think you missed this part of the instructions?

press "alt/option"

Once you have pressed the alt key (option on mac), then you should see the requested number.

14. Talavaj

Talavaj

Indeed, I did.
    It's Version 2018.2.0b9 (3b5ad740cdc8) Personal
    Tue, 12 Jun 2018 23:34:42 GMT
    Branch: 2018.2/staging

I uninstalled and reinstalled using the Unity hub, but the issue persists.
    The hub version is identical to the one downloaded using the download assistant. (the above one)

I have attached the manifest file from the broken projects, converted into .txt since it didn't allow me to upload the .json file.

As for the manifest.json in the ProjectTemplates directory, it only says the following:
    {
    "dependencies": {
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition" : "1.1.10-preview"

}
    }

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  15. veeval

veeval

Hello there,
    I'm getting the same error when trying to create a new HD project with 2018.2.0b10. I just (re-)installed the latest beta via Hub (that I also just downloaded yesterday).
    Any ideas or workarounds so far?

16. petersx

petersx

yes - still the same - new project from hd template fail.
    If you change manifest file in new project to hd preview 2.0.4 and reload project - works - but I don't see ShaderGraph in beta 10.

lmbarns likes this.
  17. veeval

veeval

Thanks a lot @petersx
    That seems to get rid of the error for now

18. lmbarns

lmbarns

That got rid of the error but I can't create a HD pipeline asset to add to Project Settings > Graphics, doesn't show up under create, so nothing is rendering on the Unity sample project demo off the asset store. Grr

19. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

To create a pipeline asset it's under
    Assets > Create > Rendering > High Definition Render Pipeline Asset
    upload_2018-6-28_19-15-43.png

Then you apply it in
    Edit > Project Settings > Graphics

20. veeval

veeval

So today, for some reason, the above fix stopped working. (Dunno what happened in between).

However, I got it back working by deleting the render-pipelines, pipelines.core and shadergraph folders in
    %APPDATA%\Local\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com

and then creating a new project. Looking at the package manager I can see the HD pipeline is at version 2.0.3 now and I cannot update to 2.0.4 because it will stop working.
    Hope this helps anyone.