Search Unity

Can't copy/paste keyframes

Discussion in 'Animation' started by dgoyette, Mar 8, 2018.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I could swear that this was working as recently as a week or two ago, but I am unable to copy/paste keyframes in the Animation window. I've tried clicking individual keyframes (so they turn blue), pressing ctrl-C, then moving somewhere else in the timeline and pressing ctrl-V. I've made sure the scrubber was on a position with a keyframe under it. I've tried using "Copy" from the edit menu, I've tried Duplicating, and nothing seems to work. Did I just imagine that this was a feature?

upload_2018-3-8_14-8-19.png

MrVester likes this.
  2. dgoyette

dgoyette

This is getting bizarre. Yesterday copy/paste was working for me again: just highlight a keyframe (blue), ctrl-c, move to another position in the timeline, and ctrl-v to paste. Now today it's not working again. Does anyone else experience this? Is there some subtle condition I'm not aware of that prevents copy/paste from working?

MrVester likes this.
  3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Sounds like a bug report would give a definitive answer here.

4. mgear

mgear

or is that some read-only animation issue? (imported animation, vs. copied version of it, or one animated in unity)

5. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'll report a bug. I was just hoping I was doing something wrong that someone would identify as a reason for the inconsistent behavior. It's currently letting me copy/paste again. This is the same animation I've been working on throughout, and I can otherwise edit the animation. It's just that copy/paste sometimes isn't working.

6. LAURiqsa

LAURiqsa

I had the same issue worked using curves but not in dopesheet.

7. Leewhitt

Leewhitt

I encounter the same issue still now intermittently - anyone know anymore about it?

8. evand

evand

This happens to me regularly, don't know why. Closing and reopening the animation window fixes it.

CityWizardGames likes this.
  9. Naxionman1978

Naxionman1978

I don't know if you still have the same problem. Well, actually I had the same problem today using the latest version and it was sorted out just by restarting the editor.

10. olejuer

olejuer

[Workaround] click the animation area where the keyframes are displayed before pasting.

I have a similar problem in 2020.1.6f1. While I am able to copy/paste keyframes within an animation, I cannot copy keyframes from one animation and paste them in another. I am 99% sure that this was working in Unity 2019.
    When I copy keyframes and I switch to another animation and back again, I cannot paste. It seems that changing the animation clears the copy cache. This is really unfortunate.
    [Edit] I am now 100% certain that this works in Unity 2019.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  11. olejuer

olejuer

Since I do not seem to be alone with this, I sent a bug ticket. Usually, the Unity support is quite responsive so we should have an answer to this shortly. Might be a duplicate with the one that @dgoyette reported, but my ticket is specifically about copying between different animation clips.

spuddy93 and HuldaGnodima like this.
  12. olejuer

olejuer

spuddy93, Albendryst and HuldaGnodima like this.
  13. Hoorza

Hoorza

Same problem here in 2020.1.4f1. What works for me is to use the top menu Edit>Paste instead of hotkeys. It seems is the key bindings are messed up but it works from the menu just fine. when you open the Edit menu you can see that there is no hotkey assigned to it.

I have just checked. The hotkey is not assigned.

1. Go to Edit>Shortcuts...
    2. In the search field type in: "paste" and press Enter.
    3. The first command in the list below (Main Menu/Edit/Paste) has no hotkey assigned.
    4. Mouse click on the field next to it, press Ctrl +V and Enter.
    5. Done.

HuldaGnodima and tatanneitor like this.
  14. Unrighteouss

Unrighteouss

HuldaGnodima likes this.