Search Unity

Cant Convert GameObject to Entity in 0.3 version

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Opeth001, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Opeth001

Opeth001

Hello Everyone,

I upgraded my project from entities 0.1 to 0.3.

my MonoBehaviour code is converting a prefab and instantiating it's entities x times.(got it from ECSSamples)
    Code (CSharp):
    2. players = new NativeArray<Entity>(pSkins.Length, Allocator.Persistent);
    3. // Create entity prefab from the Player GameObject Prefab Architype once
    4. var settings = GameObjectConversionSettings.FromWorld(World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld, null); // Error Here
    5. var prefab = GameObjectConversionUtility.ConvertGameObjectHierarchy(clientPlayerPrefabArchitype, settings);
    6. var entityManager = World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld.EntityManager;
    8. // Efficiently instantiate a bunch of entities from the already converted entity prefab
    9. entityManager.Instantiate(prefab, players);

The Error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentNullException: A valid BlobAssetStore must be passed to construct a BlobAssetComputationContext
    2. Parameter name: blobAssetStore
    3. Unity.Entities.BlobAssetComputationContext`2[TS,TB]..ctor (Unity.Entities.BlobAssetStore blobAssetStore, System.Int32 initialCapacity, Unity.Collections.Allocator allocator) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Entities.Hybrid/GameObjectConversion/BlobAssetComputationContext.cs:31)
    4. Unity.Physics.Authoring.BeginColliderConversionSystem.OnUpdate () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.physics@0.2.5-preview/Unity.Physics.Hybrid/Conversion/BeginColliderConversionSystem.cs:14)
    5. Unity.Entities.ComponentSystem.InternalUpdate () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystem.cs:102)
    6. Unity.Entities.ComponentSystemBase.Update () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystemBase.cs:301)
    7. Unity.Entities.ComponentSystemGroup.OnUpdate () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystemGroup.cs:109)
    8. UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    9. Unity.Entities.Conversion.JournalingUnityLogger:LogException(Exception, Object) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Entities.Hybrid/GameObjectConversion/JournalingUnityLogger.cs:50)
    10. UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    11. Unity.Debug:LogException(Exception) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Entities/Stubs/Unity/Debug.cs:19)
    12. Unity.Entities.ComponentSystemGroup:OnUpdate() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystemGroup.cs:113)
    13. Unity.Entities.ComponentSystem:InternalUpdate() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystem.cs:102)
    14. Unity.Entities.ComponentSystemBase:Update() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystemBase.cs:301)
    15. Unity.Entities.GameObjectConversionUtility:Convert(World) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Entities.Hybrid/GameObjectConversion/GameObjectConversionUtility.cs:147)
    16. Unity.Entities.GameObjectConversionUtility:ConvertGameObjectHierarchy(GameObject, GameObjectConversionSettings) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Entities.Hybrid/GameObjectConversion/GameObjectConversionUtility.cs:229)

2. Opeth001

Opeth001

it's working now by changing this part:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. var settings = GameObjectConversionSettings.FromWorld(World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld, null);
    4. to
    6. var settings = GameObjectConversionSettings.FromWorld(World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld, new BlobAssetStore());

3. Opeth001

Opeth001

im using Entities 0.4 and this workaround dont works correctly for some android devices,(the player goes under the ground)

MahdiNfa and aVaKus like this.
  4. james7132

james7132

Was this ever fixed? I am getting the same issue now as well.

Edit: Nevermind did not read all of the posts in the thread.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  5. Rob-A

Rob-A

Can confirm this happening in 0.14.0-preview.18 still.

this solution seems to work for me.

6. TWolfram

TWolfram

For me this results in a memory leak, using Entities 0.17.0-preview.41

7. Enzi

Enzi

The BlobAssetStore has to be disposed afterwards.

jmcusack and Opeth001 like this.
  8. voidraizer

voidraizer

I also get a memory leak so I tried to dispose afterward and as soon as the prefab is spawned, I get lots of errors
    upload_2021-3-7_14-12-27.png

upload_2021-3-7_14-11-36.png

9. TWolfram

TWolfram

Exactly, trying to fix the memory leak only results in more errors. Would love to hear how we're supposed to properly dispose a blobassetstore.

10. Enzi

Enzi

I have pretty much the same code as @voidraizer, only that I don't use physics with it. From what I know, Physics stores data in the BlobAssetStore so it can't be just disposed in that case.

What's holding you back from putting a "Convert to Entity" component on your prefabs?

11. Shudrum

Shudrum

Sorry, just seen that because I had the same issue and fixed it. So necro time!

I don't know your context, but on my test project, my spawner is a Monobehavior. To fix this issue, and avoid the BlobAssetStore to be garbage collected, I had to put it as a member and dispose it on destroy:

Code (CSharp):
    2. public class Spawner : MonoBehaviour
    3. {
    4.   public GameObject unit;
    6.   private EntityManager _manager;
    7.   private Entity _enemyEntityPrefab;
    8.   private BlobAssetStore _blobAssetStore;
    10.   private void Start() {
    11.     _blobAssetStore = new BlobAssetStore();
    12.     _manager = World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld.EntityManager;
    13.     _enemyEntityPrefab = GameObjectConversionUtility.ConvertGameObjectHierarchy(
    14.       unit,
    15.       GameObjectConversionSettings.FromWorld(World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld, _blobAssetStore)
    16.     );
    17.   }
    19.   private void OnDestroy() {
    20.     _blobAssetStore.Dispose();
    21.   }
    22. }

12. julianwitte

julianwitte

Easier then managing your own BlobAssetStore would be using the conversion system BlobAsset;

Code (CSharp):
    1. var world = World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld;
    2.         var conversionSystem = world.GetExistingSystem<GameObjectConversionSystem>();
    4.         var prefab = GameObjectConversionUtility.ConvertGameObjectHierarchy(unitPrefab,
    5.             GameObjectConversionSettings.FromWorld(world, conversionSystem.BlobAssetStore));
    If you are using IConvertGameObjectToEntity then it is even easier, since conversionSystem comes for free in the Convert method.

13. DevViktoria

DevViktoria

Actually in Entities 0.50 the ConvertToEntitySystem should be used like so:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ConvertToEntitySystem convertToEntitySystem = World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld.GetExistingSystem<ConvertToEntitySystem>();
    2.         GameObjectConversionSettings settings = GameObjectConversionSettings.FromWorld(World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld, convertToEntitySystem.BlobAssetStore);
    (The GameObjectConversionSystem was null when I tried to use it ....)

mk1987 and gnere4 like this.
  14. Antypodish

Antypodish

This thread was created in 2019!
    OP was discussing early version of entities.

Please checkout the dates before posting.

Anthiese likes this.
  15. DevViktoria

DevViktoria

The reason I had posted here was because I ran into the same problem with ECS 0.50 and this thread came out in search. And I thought it would be great if the solution for the 0.50 could be found here. Sorry if I had made a mistake.

dabmantrips_unity likes this.
  16. gladieweb

gladieweb

I still have this error and cannot fix it