Search Unity

Cant connect to trainer on port 5004

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by wwaero, Mar 12, 2020.

1. wwaero

wwaero

It appears I've updated to 14.1 but I'm still unable to connect by pressing play in the editor.

Couldn't connect to trainer on port 5004 using API version API-14. Will perform inference instead.
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    MLAgents.Academy:InitializeEnvironment() (at D:/Documents/GitHub/ml-agents/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:286)
    MLAgents.Academy:LazyInitialization() (at D:/Documents/GitHub/ml-agents/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:161)
    MLAgents.Academy:.ctor() (at D:/Documents/GitHub/ml-agents/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:150)
    MLAgents.<>c:<.cctor>b__59_0() (at D:/Documents/GitHub/ml-agents/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:56)
    System.Lazy`1:get_Value()
    MLAgents.Academy:get_Instance() (at D:/Documents/GitHub/ml-agents/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:63)
    MLAgents.Agent:LazyInitialize() (at D:/Documents/GitHub/ml-agents/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Agent.cs:244)
    MLAgents.Agent:OnEnable() (at D:/Documents/GitHub/ml-agents/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Agent.cs:201)

D:\Documents\GitHub\ml-agents>mlagents-learn config/trainer_config.yaml --run-id=orbit_0 --train
    WARNING:tensorflow:From c:\users\ww\appdata\local\continuum\anaconda3\envs\ml-agents-14-1\lib\site-packages\tensorflow_core\python\compat\v2_compat.py:65: disable_resource_variables (from tensorflow.python.ops.variable_scope) is deprecated and will be removed in a future version.
    Instructions for updating:
    non-resource variables are not supported in the long term
    ▄▄▄▓▓▓▓
    ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓
    ,▄▄▄m▀▀▀' ,▓▓▓▀▓▓▄ ▓▓▓ ▓▓▌
    ▄▓▓▓▀' ▄▓▓▀ ▓▓▓ ▄▄ ▄▄ ,▄▄ ▄▄▄▄ ,▄▄ ▄▓▓▌▄ ▄▄▄ ,▄▄
    ▄▓▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▀ ▐▓▓▌ ▓▓▌ ▐▓▓ ▐▓▓▓▀▀▀▓▓▌ ▓▓▓ ▀▓▓▌▀ ^▓▓▌ ╒▓▓▌
    ▄▓▓▓▓▓▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▓▓▓ ▓▀ ▓▓▌ ▐▓▓ ▐▓▓ ▓▓▓ ▓▓▓ ▓▓▌ ▐▓▓▄ ▓▓▌
    ▀▓▓▓▓▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▓▓▄ ▓▓ ▓▓▌ ▐▓▓ ▐▓▓ ▓▓▓ ▓▓▓ ▓▓▌ ▐▓▓▐▓▓
    ^█▓▓▓ ▀▓▓▄ ▐▓▓▌ ▓▓▓▓▄▓▓▓▓ ▐▓▓ ▓▓▓ ▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▄ ▓▓▓▓`
    '▀▓▓▓▄ ^▓▓▓ ▓▓▓ └▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ^▀▀ `▀▀ `▀▀ '▀▀ ▐▓▓▌
    ▀▀▀▀▓▄▄▄ ▓▓▓▓▓▓, ▓▓▓▓▀
    `▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ¬`▀▀▀█▓
    Version information:
    ml-agents: 0.14.1,
    ml-agents-envs: 0.14.1,
    Communicator API: API-14,
    TensorFlow: 2.0.1
    WARNING:tensorflow:From c:\users\ww\appdata\local\continuum\anaconda3\envs\ml-agents-14-1\lib\site-packages\tensorflow_core\python\compat\v2_compat.py:65: disable_resource_variables (from tensorflow.python.ops.variable_scope) is deprecated and will be removed in a future version.
    Instructions for updating:
    non-resource variables are not supported in the long term
    INFO:mlagents_envs:Listening on port 5004. Start training by pressing the Play button in the Unity Editor.
    Process Process-1:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "c:\users\ww\appdata\local\continuum\anaconda3\envs\ml-agents-14-1\lib\multiprocessing\process.py", line 258, in _bootstrap
    self.run()
    File "c:\users\ww\appdata\local\continuum\anaconda3\envs\ml-agents-14-1\lib\multiprocessing\process.py", line 93, in run
    self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
    File "c:\users\ww\appdata\local\continuum\anaconda3\envs\ml-agents-14-1\lib\site-packages\mlagents\trainers\subprocess_env_manager.py", line 97, in worker
    worker_id, [shared_float_properties, engine_configuration_channel]
    File "c:\users\ww\appdata\local\continuum\anaconda3\envs\ml-agents-14-1\lib\site-packages\mlagents\trainers\learn.py", line 425, in create_unity_environment
    side_channels=side_channels,
    File "c:\users\ww\appdata\local\continuum\anaconda3\envs\ml-agents-14-1\lib\site-packages\mlagents_envs\environment.py", line 124, in __init__
    aca_output = self.send_academy_parameters(rl_init_parameters_in)
    File "c:\users\ww\appdata\local\continuum\anaconda3\envs\ml-agents-14-1\lib\site-packages\mlagents_envs\environment.py", line 511, in send_academy_parameters
    return self.communicator.initialize(inputs)
    File "c:\users\ww\appdata\local\continuum\anaconda3\envs\ml-agents-14-1\lib\site-packages\mlagents_envs\rpc_communicator.py", line 101, in initialize
    self.poll_for_timeout()
    File "c:\users\ww\appdata\local\continuum\anaconda3\envs\ml-agents-14-1\lib\site-packages\mlagents_envs\rpc_communicator.py", line 94, in poll_for_timeout
    "The Unity environment took too long to respond. Make sure that :\n"
    mlagents_envs.exception.UnityTimeOutException: The Unity environment took too long to respond. Make sure that :
    The environment does not need user interaction to launch
    The Agents are linked to the appropriate Brains
    The environment and the Python interface have compatible versions.
    INFO:mlagents.trainers:Learning was interrupted. Please wait while the graph is generated.
    INFO:mlagents.trainers:Saved Model

2. wwaero

wwaero

Looks like having the proxy environment variables set was blocking communication.

3. Xinzz

Xinzz

Do you solve this? having same issues here

4. KD_MASS

KD_MASS

Any luck on this issue guys? I'm having the same trouble... Think the issue is on the Unity side of things.

Couldn't connect to trainer on port 5004 using API version 0.15.0. Will perform inference instead.

MLAgents.Academy:InitializeEnvironment() (at C:/Users/KD/Desktop/ML-Agents/ml-agents-0.15.1/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:353)
    MLAgents.Academy:LazyInitialize() (at C:/Users/KD/Desktop/ML-Agents/ml-agents-0.15.1/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:195)
    MLAgents.Academy:.ctor() (at C:/Users/KD/Desktop/ML-Agents/ml-agents-0.15.1/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:183)
    MLAgents.<>c:<.cctor>b__70_0() (at C:/Users/KD/Desktop/ML-Agents/ml-agents-0.15.1/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:74)
    MLAgents.Academy:get_Instance() (at C:/Users/KD/Desktop/ML-Agents/ml-agents-0.15.1/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:87)
    MLAgents.Agent:LazyInitialize() (at C:/Users/KD/Desktop/ML-Agents/ml-agents-0.15.1/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Agent.cs:253)
    MLAgents.Agent:OnEnable() (at C:/Users/KD/Desktop/ML-Agents/ml-agents-0.15.1/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Agent.cs:203)

5. nmtrox

nmtrox

I am having the same issue. Any suggestions?

sandokanne likes this.
  6. Xinzz

Xinzz

Use 0.14.1 instead.

7. kazurati

kazurati

Hi,
    I have the same problem.

I have tried both versions 0.14.1 and 0.15.1 also. However, the result was the same.

On Windows, it will start training properly, but on MAC, it will show "Couldn't connect to trainer on port 5004 using API version 0.15.0 or 0.14.1".

Somebody help me.

8. kazurati

kazurati

I solved it on my own.

In my case, the firewall seemed to be getting in the way!

9. QuickTitan

QuickTitan

Hey!
    Can you tell me how you fixed it in the firewall? What have you done exactly?

10. kazurati

kazurati

I use my own installed security software, I just turned off the firewall from that software's settings. The security software used is different for each person, so you can try to find the cause by turning off your security software in turn.

11. edogandursun

edogandursun

I have tried nearly everything but it is still not working..

-Mac OSX : 10.15.4 (Catalina)
    -OSX Firewall has been deactivated.
    -Tried local installation as well as cloning and using pip.
    -Tried conda environments as well as classic python venv's.
    -Tried restarting the application and importing the packages multiple times after deactivating firewall and also after restarting terminal and communicator API.
    -Tried release-2, release-1, v0.15.1, v0.15.0, v0.14.1, v0.14.0
    -mlagents properly installed.
    -tensorboard properly installed.

I have read all the documentation but it is still not working on my mac. I feel really sorry about it.

It would be nice if I could get some help.

Traceback of running communicator API before the above screen.

12. MrWetsnow

MrWetsnow

For the specific error you are getting in the terminal, either provide a different run ID, or add the --force flag to overwrite your existing one.

13. erki338

erki338

same problem........

14. erki338

erki338

i have 2 pc-s i did exactly same programm with both computers. on my main computer it didnt work and other one didnt have any problems

15. alvaro_unity903

alvaro_unity903

Same problem. I tried opening the port in the firewall with no success.

16. surajitsaikia27

surajitsaikia27

Did anyone solved this issue? I am new to Unity and don't know how to solve this one

17. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

I'll flag this for the team to have a look.

18. bunichiroh

bunichiroh

Same problem. I'm using ml-agents 0.17.0 with Anaconda 1.10.0. I needed downgrade numpy from 1.19.4 to 1.19.3 due to numpy problem to start learning. I've opened 5004 port in my local firewall but my unity says "Couldn't connect to trainer on port 5004 using API version 1.0.0. Will perform inference instead.". I can connect the port with "telnet localhost 5004" in my console. I need any helps. Thanks in advance.

netanel117 likes this.
  19. ssshammi

ssshammi

HI please help i need to work on my coursework for Reinforcement learning by 4th i am stuck at configuration.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Couldn't connect to trainer on port 5004 using API version 1.3.0. Will perform inference instead.
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    3. Unity.MLAgents.Academy:InitializeEnvironment() (at /Users/shammiseth/Projects/MLagents/mlagents/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:447)
    4. Unity.MLAgents.Academy:LazyInitialize() (at /Users/shammiseth/Projects/MLagents/mlagents/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:271)
    5. Unity.MLAgents.Academy:.ctor() (at /Users/shammiseth/Projects/MLagents/mlagents/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:240)
    6. Unity.MLAgents.<>c:<.cctor>b__83_0() (at /Users/shammiseth/Projects/MLagents/mlagents/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:109)
    7. System.Lazy`1:get_Value()
    8. Unity.MLAgents.Academy:get_Instance() (at /Users/shammiseth/Projects/MLagents/mlagents/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:124)
    9. Unity.MLAgents.DecisionRequester:Awake() (at /Users/shammiseth/Projects/MLagents/mlagents/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/DecisionRequester.cs:49)
    I am not able to connect to post 5004 and the Firewall is off. How to i check what's blocking it. I get a popup everything i play in unity.
    ibgrpc_csharp_ext.x64.bundle” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. Help please!

Attached Files:

20. ervteng_unity

ervteng_unity

Unity Technologies

21. Octopal

Octopal

For some, it could be that their agents do not have the Decision Requester component attached, omitting it will produce the same log.

ervteng_unity likes this.
  22. unity_pud955CKnp1Y9A

unity_pud955CKnp1Y9A

I'm on version 2019.4.20f1, as the latest version of ML Agents on GitHub requires. I'm also experiencing the same problem.
    Couldn't connect to trainer on port 5004 using API version 1.5.0. Will perform inference instead.
    Unity.MLAgents.Academy:InitializeEnvironment() (at D:/ml-agents-release_17/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:459)
    Unity.MLAgents.Academy:LazyInitialize() (at D:/ml-agents-release_17/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:279)
    Unity.MLAgents.Academy:.ctor() (at D:/ml-agents-release_17/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:248)
    Unity.MLAgents.<>c:<.cctor>b__83_0() (at D:/ml-agents-release_17/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:117)
    Unity.MLAgents.Academy:get_Instance() (at D:/ml-agents-release_17/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/Academy.cs:132)
    Unity.MLAgents.DecisionRequester:Awake() (at D:/ml-agents-release_17/com.unity.ml-agents/Runtime/DecisionRequester.cs:57)
    Also, when I went into the package manager, ML Agents wasn't there. I already turned on preview packages and changed some of the firewall settings. Also, I'm on windows 10 so I don't have a mac-related problem.

23. ervteng_unity

ervteng_unity

Unity Technologies

Your ML-Agents has been installed if you're already getting to this point. What does it say on the Python CLI?

24. KakaoZen

KakaoZen

How do i check with python?

25. KakaoZen

KakaoZen

Sorry. But how do i check with python ?