Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't connect to anyone

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by EricKramp, Oct 14, 2009.

1. EricKramp

EricKramp

We're having problems connecting to hosts. I can see the people hosting listed in the lobby, but when I try to connect I just get "Connection Failed".

In the console I'm getting this message:

Code (csharp):
    1. The connection request to 66.47.228.60:62457 failed. Are you sure the server can be connected to?
    As of yesterday this was all working fine, with no changes or new builds. We are using the Unity hosted Master Server, does anyone know if it's having any problems at the moment?

Just to make sure it wasn't us I grabbed a copy of the M2H networking tutorial and tried their build (awesome tutorial by the way). Attached is the console output I get when trying to connect to a host on our local network in the FPS demo.

Attached Files:

2. zumwalt

zumwalt

3. EricKramp

EricKramp

That does indeed work, I am able to connect where I wasn't using the Unity Master Server.

Are you doing anything different with your server?

and Thanks for having it up!

4. Barrett Fox

Barrett Fox

Though, we're still wondering what happened to the Unity hosted Master Server.

Is there any information on that?

5. zumwalt

zumwalt

I am doing nothing different with my hosted server, it is using beta build 5 as far as I recall based on conversation with Unity. They do have one more intermediate build past build 5, but it really just has more troubleshooting debug prints. Other than that, as far as I know, I am running the same code base. That machine is a 2 processor quad core (8 cores in total) machine.

Unity's master server has no guarantees that it will be up or that they will even have it turned on. It is for testing and not production. I would host a "Permanent" master however, I can't hunch the monthy cost on my own and I would want it to be even more powerful than what I currently am using, on top of that I wouldn't want it to be a virtual server like the current one I am using is. I would want it to be a dedicated hosted server so I am talking +199 a month or so.

Obviously right now there is no demand for it, not on that scale.

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

cari.net offers fairly cheaper dedicated machines actually :)
    With their rates it should also be able to get some kind of community / production user funding to cover it I think

7. EricKramp

EricKramp

Yeah I agree we've definitely let ourselves get a little too dependent on UT's Master Server and we're gonna start setting up our own.

We've had such good luck using the UT Master Server in the past that I think we forgot it was just meant for testing. :)

Zumwalt, if you don't mind we're going to point our app at your server for a few days until we can get ours up and running. With the understanding that there's no warranty of course, and the promise of beer if you can make it out to Unite.

We don't generate a ton of traffic, but it has become fairly essential to our testing process. Would that be ok with you?

Thanks.

8. zumwalt

zumwalt

Have at it, let me know if you have any issues.
    The only outage you might experience is if they reboot the server on me without me knowing it, but if that happens, just shoot me an email or a PM and I'll get it back up and running asap.

Edit:
    just sent you a PM with more contact info for me if you need to get ahold of me for any reason.