Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Can't commit my project until I "update" to an older version

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by DroidifyDevs, Dec 17, 2016.

1. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Hello,

Recently I've started using Unity Collaborate. Today I went back to an older version of my project. Now I want to push a commit, but it won't let me until I "update" to a version that's 6 hours old. Here's 2 screenshots:

UnityCollabFail1.PNG

UnityCollabFail2.PNG

Is it normal to not be able to push a commit after reverting to an older version?

Thank you for your explanation.

SgerbwdGwyn likes this.
  2. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

Sorry you are having trouble with Collaborate. Based on the screenshots, it looks like the version of the Unity editor you are using is not the same as the one that the previous commit was made with. If your current Unity editor version is lower/older than the Unity editor version you last committed with, you will need to upgrade you Unity editor to the same version as the editor that made the last commit. We do not support downgrading versions at this time. I hope this helps.

Maaalene and AndyNeoman like this.
  3. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

@Gurg

I'm having this same problem but have not changed editor versions (also cant see unity version on those screenshots).

Collaborate is trying to make me update to a version that a reverted from because it has errors.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    SgerbwdGwyn likes this.
  4. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

@AndyNeoman Yeah, I need to do strikethrough for some old posts. I was working on version mis-match test cases at the time and made an assumption. (It gives you a similar orange warning but the window you get from opening the toolbar has a banner warning saying there is a editor version mismatch and it might cause issues.)

So as far as I am aware when it comes to this problem is that it is a bit version specific as some versions have a "restore" option while newer versions have a "revert" option. There is a difference, although presented similarly. I will need to double check tomorrow when I have time to verify the behavior change, but I want to say that the expected behavior here that @DroidifyDevs wants comes with the newer versions of the editor that have the revert option, not with the restore option. It's a little confusing, but an issue that will hopefully get phased out as we move onto more versions with more fixes, updates, and features.

5. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

Also if you guys can post your editor versions, since this is version specific, that would be great.

6. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Currently I'm using 5.5.0f3. I think I got around this by just hitting "update"; I didn't notice any project changes.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Gurg likes this.
  7. digimbyte

digimbyte

I have the exact same problem, exact same unity version. 5.5.0f3
    but I cannot "update" as unity runs out of memory, or times out.

it wants to update my version with one I pushed 4 days ago

8. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Thanks, I'm using 5.5.0f3

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have the same issue with 5.5.3f1, tried updating to 5.6 but that caused a huge another scenario of troubles for me so I had to downgrade again. Now I am stuck with this "Update now!" I can't update now...

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hey guys! I'm really sorry that we took so long to get back to you all. I think there's a little confusion about the use of the Collab History window.

For 5.5, clicking on Go Back To will restore your project to an earlier state but you cannot Publish new changes until you Update/Restore to the latest commit, which is why none of you are able to Publish until you Update first. The goal was to allow users to copy out older versions of assets that they preferred over their latest versions, Restore to the latest commit, then paste over those assets with the older versions.

But for 5.6, pressing Go Back To rolls that commit up to the head, making it the latest commit, so that you can Publish new changes from that earlier state and overwrite the later commits. If you change your mind, you can always Restore to the latest commit before you make a new Publish to put the commits back where they were before.

@Suhrahj, I'm sorry that things didn't work out with updating to 5.6 and that you need to keep using 5.5. If you REALLY need to go back and continue pushing from an older commit, you can click Go Back To on the commit that you want to revert to, unlink your project from the Settings section of the Services Window, create a brand new link (which will make a new project on Collab), then Publish your project. This will let you continue from your older state.

I hope that answer helps and please let me know if you have any more questions.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

@ryanc-unity Yes I really had to go back to the previous version sadly, thank you for the suggestion, I will be doing that.

12. paranoidAndroid

paranoidAndroid

I've started using Collaborate today, I pushed an entire project 13gb.. The upload failed half way through so I did this is in two check-ins.

Everything has uploaded fine, but now its asking me to download 13gb.. surely this cant be right..

I'm running 2017.3.0f3

NatureSimsVR and Maaalene like this.
  13. Lewnatic

Lewnatic

Same problem for me. Um using Unity 5.6 The reason why this happened for me is because i disabled collab when i was working with unity because unity runs very unstable and freezes now and then for couple of seconds when its on. Its pretty hard to work with. And now i switched it on again and it tells me my local version is not the newest. =\ Pretty annoying. Whole day of work is lost.

14. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @paranoidAndroid and @Lewnatic! I'm sorry that you're both running into issues. Could you both submit support tickets to our team so that we can help get you unblocked? You can find out how to do that here.

15. SaltwaterAssembly

SaltwaterAssembly

Just ran into this issue today for the first time. We're running editor ver 2018.3.0f2

Only difference since our last update to collaborate is we updated our MacOS system to Mojave (if that makes any difference)

16. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @SaltwaterAssembly! Just to clarify, you're seeing a pending update when no one else on your team pushed changes recently? Can you open the Package Manager from the Windows menu and tell me which version of Unity's Collaborate package you're using?

17. TextusGames

TextusGames

Hello
    I have a released game, than i upgraded unity version publish update to colloborate and than i realize that with that unity version my project is brokecn in some way, i need to switch back to previous unity version and may be stop on that version!. I switched back to older version of unity and my project but now i can not publish changes and basically colloborate becomes useless in that case.

Making new object is not an option, because all statistic will be not transfered.

I hope i have described a real case scenario than you need to switch back colloborate version and publish older project as last one.

Is that kind of option planned?

18. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @TextusGames, yes that scenario is a common one among Collaborate users. I assume you already used the Collab History window to Go Back to an earlier commit? After that, your project should revert to that earlier commit and the Collab Toolbar should list pending changes that would undo all changes from your latest commits. If you press the Publish Now! button then you'll be able to continue working on your project from that point without restoring the changes that you undid. Are you saying that you're seeing errors appear in either the Collab Toolbar and/or the Console that are letting you from pressing Publish after you Go Back to an earlier commit?

19. TextusGames

TextusGames

I have unzipped my external back up than in collab window i open history and clicked "Restore".

I do not see "Publish now" i see "Update now". And i do not want to press this because i do not want Any upcoming changes to be done to my existing project i just want this version to become last one.

Is there a way to remove collab history for particular project and than to reenable collab functionality to start from blank list?

20. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I understand now. When you open up an earlier back up of your project that is a few commits behind the latest, Collaborate will look at this older copy of your project and see that you have commits that you haven't pulled yet since it's synced to the same Unity Project ID. Because Collaborate currently only supports a master branch repo structure (though branches are coming in the near future) we don't allow you to publish any changes until after you've pulled your latest changes first. That is why you only see the option to Update Now, because Collaborate wants your project to be up to date first.

You'll need to open the latest version of your project, the one that's broken, and then from the History window Go Back to the commit that you'd like to revert to. From there you can make the changes you want to make and then Publish from the Collab Toolbar to skip over the commits that you don't want as part of your project.

21. TextusGames

TextusGames

I
    I have already made many many changes in that unzipped project and i have not clicked "Update now" button.
    If I click "Update now" button and go back to previous version which i am using now will those many many changes stay?

Edited:
    "Pressing go back" will undo all local changes. Now i guess i will loose all the work that i have done if i want to go on with colloborate. And I do not want loose that changes.

Now I can say that i have come to loose end. In that state i can no longer use colloborate feature. That is pretty bad. You should think abaut this situation and the way to solve this in feature releases of Colloborate tool.

Is there a way to start collab system from new clean start for existing project?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  22. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm really sorry to hear that you are unable to go back without undoing your local changes. Collaborate was designed to encourage lots of smaller changes to be updated frequently instead of fewer, larger commits being made.

If you'd like to replace your current Collab repo with an older copy then I would ask that you contact our Support team. You can reach them from the Developer Dashboard by going to the Support tab under the Collaborate section in the navigation bar, then clicking on "Open A Ticket".

Otherwise, the only way to do that is to unlink your old copy of the project from the rest of the Services, then create a new link from the Services Window to create a fresh start. But that will also unlink you from any other Services that you were using, so I'd only recommend that as a last resort.

23. TextusGames

TextusGames

Thanks for response.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  24. Blenderik

Blenderik

I seem to have changed my project collab (even though I don't remember doing so). I want to be safe and ignore those changes and push the current project. But I can't collab only lets me sync and then warns me that my project settings will be ovewritten. I don't want to sync, I want to push, is there an option for that?

25. TextusGames

TextusGames

Contact support team

26. coolthings247

coolthings247

Hi Guys - if like me you are reading all this and going, surely not... then don't panic - here is how to publish changes if the project is trying to revert you to an old commit (eg: update now rather than publish)

go to unity services window, find unlink project, click yes,
    then go to unity services window, create new project ID (it will ask you to select organisation) change project name in that window to something else, then hit collab button

this will create a new project with a new link, so just make sure any other services (such as cloud build or ads, multiplayer etc are not affected. if they show as ON Then seek support first.
    also this will unlik anyone else collaborating as well. so you will need to start from scratch. but it will be a clean slate which is what i belive you guys are trying to achieve (rather than commit to old versions)

Noah-Essa24 likes this.