Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't click UI Buttons

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by xFrost96x, Sep 14, 2016.

1. bg4u67

bg4u67

You're an absolute life saver. I've been trying for at least 10+ hours to fix this issue, so thank you so much!

2. unknownsk

unknownsk

Another solution for random person: NEVER EVER ROTATE BUTTON ON Y-AXIS. I do not know why but if you rotate the button 180 degrees on the y-axis you can not click on it anymore! so use the z-axis.

3. unknownsk

unknownsk

Hi if anybody is still having this problem, I got the solution and I think this is your problem because every other solution is already posted. Just simple: Make sure you never rotate UI object on the Y axis. It makes UI component to not be clickable! Set rotations to 0! UI object is 2D component. Rotate it on the Z axis if you still want to rotate it and not on the Y axis.

4. Jared_Pitchford

Jared_Pitchford

EventSystem: Input System UI Input Module (Script)
    Make sure Deselect on Background Click is turned off. This can cause this behavior.
    Sometimes stuff behind the UI does an update and suddenly button navigation behavior goes out the window.

5. markustangen

markustangen

I would kiss you.

6. radiantboy

radiantboy

I found that in my button prefab I had the "image" object off, even setting this on at runtime didnt work, needs to be done in the prefab before you run.

7. Joropval

Joropval

i didnt have a eventsystem

8. SheepieDuh

SheepieDuh

Thank you sooooo much I straight up gave up my project for a day because of that

9. StarArcher

StarArcher

4 1/2 years later... this saved my bacon. Thank you!!!!

radiantboy likes this.
  10. radiantboy

radiantboy

true, without the standalone module I couldnt get it to work! thanks

11. Rowland_Goddy-Worlu

Rowland_Goddy-Worlu

Kindly check if you deleted the event system that is automatically created with the UI elements. If you mistakenly deleted that, you can re-add the event system by simply creating a new canvas.

12. feryad95

feryad95

guys make sure you have GraphicsRaycaster component on you parent canvas, none of my buttons worked added GraphicsRaycaster to my canvas and boom

13. stromtroopergamer356

stromtroopergamer356

Finally! Thank you! You just reminded me that I forgot to add one... I deleted the previous event system by accident and forgot about it, and I was like... "Why buttons not work" LoL XD

14. popcar2

popcar2

In my case it turns out I was missing an EventSystem. It should've put one automatically but I think it didn't when I copy-pasted a canvas from another scene. Whoops!

15. jimisv52

jimisv52

oh my god thank you I had this problem for so long and it was just because I had my canvas in the wrong order

16. SomeVVhIteGuy

SomeVVhIteGuy

happens all the time when you manually place things in the Hierarchy. The biggest 3 troubleshoots are placement order, sorting layer, and missing an event system

17. Coolae

Coolae

Sorry to revive this thread again, but for me it was that i did not reference the event camera in my canvas

Attached Files:

18. CasperSparkle

CasperSparkle

For anyone not finding anything that works, what eventually worked for me is that I somehow had Canvas properties on my buttons. No idea what led to that, this whole process has been a blur lol

theglobol likes this.
  19. daksh82010

daksh82010

THANKS SO MUCH, it helped me a lot!

20. gokusan523552

gokusan523552

Thanks man, it seems I have accidentally deleted event system in the hierarchy

21. hughperkins

hughperkins

@mikael_juhala wow, thank you. I had an invisible element covering my button, that I'd completely forgotten about. Your hint about using the EventManager to debug was fantastic! Thank you :)

22. jayconsystems

jayconsystems

What solved it for me was changing the Canvas GameObject -> Render Mode -> Sort Order -> 1.
    For some reason Sort Order == 0 was not working for me, only Sort Order == 1 was.

23. radiantboy

radiantboy

24. unity_3872EF064E8805AEF2F3

unity_3872EF064E8805AEF2F3

Thanks! I was banging my head for a while on this one, I am not sure how my EventSystem was deleted but adding it back in solve the problem!

25. sagarsuman1299

sagarsuman1299

If above stuffs don't work and your code has this :
    Cursor.lockState = CursorLockMode.Locked;
    Try removing or commenting that.

26. tmkirankumar

tmkirankumar

Make sure Event System is turned On. If Evernt system not present, do add manually for the issue of not able to click or enter on game play mode.

27. mohamedkaram09

mohamedkaram09

An absolute legend

radiantboy likes this.
  28. OpenGLMaster

OpenGLMaster

SAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

29. daniel2kinga_unity

daniel2kinga_unity

The resolution of the problem is that you have to put EVENT SYSTEM on the canvas and then Standalone Input System, it will work for sure

30. Jahvan

Jahvan

Another problem that can arise — which happened to me: If a parent element of the button has a mask, and the button is outside of the mask, it won't respond to raycasts. This is true even if the image of the button has "Maskable" unchecked.

31. iZerv

iZerv

Madep maneh euy

32. paul_unity171

paul_unity171

Thank you :) I had made my canvas into a prefab, and added it to all scenes. 1 scene did not already have an event system, so my canvas was not working. Rookie mistake I know.

33. theglobol

theglobol

Thank you. Your solution fixed my problem.

34. WazeJinx

WazeJinx

having same problem, i have to spam esc (to bring up canvas that has button) and for a mere second it detects my mouse on the button then it doesnt detect anymore. :( still unsolved

35. garwil80

garwil80

This is driving me mad!!! Hoping someone can help!

3 things I noticed:
    1. When I change from "Game" view to "Simulator" the buttons click
    2. When I sue the camera in this "Character Controller SUPER" it doesn't work, however when I just use a normal camera it works
    3. When I try "New Input System" (see instructions below) It causes error an error after a restart, and I have to start in safe mode with these errors "Assets/SUPER Character Controller/SUPER Character Controller/SUPERCharacterAIO.cs(12,19): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'InputSystem' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?)" ??? Any suggestions? is there a character controller that's compatible and up to date with the latest version of unity?
    "New Input System"
    • Input System Package: Confirm that the Input System package is installed via the Unity Package Manager.
    • Player Settings: Go to Edit → Project Settings → Player, and under the Other Settings tab, make sure the Active Input Handling option is set to either Input System Package (for exclusively using the new system) or Both (to support both the old and new systems).

36. drilya1989

drilya1989

why aren't my buttons clickable?? upload_2024-2-4_19-6-36.png

37. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

@drilya1989 have you tried these?
    If I have to guess you have either
    1. something in front of your button with raycastTarget set true that's capturing the clicks so your button doesn't get clicks anymore
    2. your button's graphic doesn't have raycastTarget set true.