Search Unity

Question How do you change the credit text in the 2D platformer microgame tutorial?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Asough, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Asough

Asough

I'm trying to make a 2D platformer microgame. I'm following this tutorial.

If I change the credit text in the field where it says text input, and then save it, Unity changes it back again to the default credit text.

Similarly, if I change the position of the credit text in the field where it says alignment, and then save it, Unity changes it back again to the default position.

What's up with this?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
  2. mgear

mgear

3. Asough

Asough

Where should i check to see if it's disabled?

Also, i was able to change the credit text after multiple attempts, finally. It still won't let me change the position of the credit text though.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  4. tleylan

tleylan

Umm... I mean this seriously but keep on working with that app until you understand what is going on because the example is literally called Name the Game. If you can't change the name (and anything else in the project) you need to determine the cause.

There is no "magic" so it isn't installed properly, your folder or file is set to read-only at the O/S level or "something". It doesn't take multiple tries to change some text or position so perhaps it is simple as you didn't save your changes?

Figure it out and move forward.

5. Asough

Asough

I was able to change the position of the credit text too. I had to change the position by manually changing the numbers in the field where it says rect transform.

I had to do it mulitple times, because unity would change them back again.

Yes, i did save it.

6. tleylan

tleylan

Again I'm really only suggesting that you try to pinpoint the issue. Like start a simple template project and see if those items change. Try some other settings on the one you have issue with, etc. There is nothing that I'm aware of that requires multiple saves to save changes and I do it all the time.

7. Asough

Asough

It seems like the unity folder was set to read-only. Should i uncheck that?

Also, it's in a subfolder inside of the unity folder. I created my own folder, where i put all of my projects. I'm using version 2021.3.15f1.

8. tleylan

tleylan

It isn't the version so don't pursue that. All versions of Unity work the same at this level and one is freely able to migrate projects between them. The read-only status on the folder is not the issue. You will see lots of folders have this attribute set. You might check the actual "properties" settings and see if there is an entry for Authenticated Users. Users (which you belong to) may not have write access. That wouldn't explain why repeated tries seems to work. Do you restart as Administrator?

I any case it is surely an odd setting on the OS level. I assume you can edit other files on your computer and if you create a new project in Unity you can create/edit/delete files there.

9. Asough

Asough

Yes, im signed into an account that has administrator privileges.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2022
  10. tleylan

tleylan

That isn't needed but should permit the writing of files. Me? I'd start another project and copy the relevant parts over making sure that I could edit the files/settings. Knowing why this particular project has issues is probably not worth the time finding out any longer.

ALEXWARELLC likes this.
  11. Asough

Asough

Yes. Anyway i was able to change the credit text as well as the position of it, and it seems like it sticks now.

12. slimcady3000

slimcady3000

that's some seriously $hit advice