Search Unity

can't change email address on license

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zaffer, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Zaffer

Zaffer

Hi,

I recently bought the upgrade to Unity 5.0 pro at the preorder price and got my paid invoice. The problem is that it came to my old email address which I am phasing out. I contacted support on how to change my email address and they told me it is impossible to change the email address associated with your license. I am worried because I won't have the old address forever. Is it true there is absolutely no way to change the email address associated with a license? Couldn't Unity do something like cancel the old license and issue a new one for circumstances like this? Thanks.

Zaffer

2. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

This is something you will have to discuss with Support.
    I'm afraid no one on the forums will be able to help you any better on this issue. Sorry.

3. Zaffer

Zaffer

Thanks, Motionblur, but Support already told me it's impossible. I was hoping somebody else would have more info.

4. TheDMan

TheDMan

Really? Thats stupid if thats the case.

5. Zaffer

Zaffer

I agree DMan. Support told me that Unity is concerned about the license being resold and I can understand their concern, but I wish they had some process in place for legitimate customers who need to change the email address associated with their license.

6. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

If true, that is indeed ridiculous. What if you [stupidly i will admit] signed with an email provided by your ISP and then have to change ISPs? Or with your work email address and change jobs?

Heck if you have your custom email address and cant afford the hosting costs and must change email address? This is all very very silly.

7. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I agree on the issue that it is indeed very silly. Especially since I wanted to contact support because of the same reason for my upgrade.

8. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Once it's been bought it might be impossible, I don't know.

However, you can update all your account information in any time in between purchases. Just go to your account settings (Unity Account), either in your profile on this site or in the Unity Store for the the billing information.

Either way, if you have the proof of payment, its quite possible your own country laws can help you recuperate the sums:
    1) Change all your contact info
    2) Ask for refund
    3) Re-buy with new contact info

9. TheDMan

TheDMan

Actually when I first bought a license back in the 2.6 days I used my work email. I just changed the email on the store profile to my home email address roughly two months ago, and I assumed it would automatically change the email associated with the license. Hopefully it does because that old work email was disabled then erased, so if they send anything to it it will just get bounced back as undeliverable.

10. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

DMan, I ponder if that is the issue here. Not that the email can’t be changed, but that representatives are not allowed to change it for you as a way to avoid social engineered hacking.

11. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

In that case it would be good to hear from an official Unity representative whether that's true.

12. Zaffer

Zaffer

Polish Renegade: Even if I could get my money back, I couldn't buy the upgrade without my license -- I could only buy a full version.

TheDMan: I did change my email a long time ago on my profile.

The_motionblur: I agree, are there any Unity representatives out there with some information about this? Thanks.

Zaffer

13. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get your email address changed in the account section of the website. The order you have placed cannot be re-issued with a new email, however.

14. goat

goat

You can change easily if the license is yours, I've done it. Something else must be going on.

15. Zaffer

Zaffer

Hi Graham and Goat,

Here is my correspondence of today with Unity support (highlighting is mine). What do you think? Thanks.

Zaffer

Hi There,
    Thanks for the e-mail.

We cannot change any of the details attached to the license. You can add the licenses to your webstore account in order to manage them:

1. Go here: https://store.unity3d.com/sign_in 2. Create an account or sign-in (you will not have an account automatically setup on purchase) 3. add Licence.

Let me know if you have any further problems.

Kind regards,
    Ben
    Unity Support

--------------- Original Message ---------------
    Sent: 21/03/2014 15:39
    To: support@unity3d.com
    Subject: RE: changes email address [ ref:_00D20M42f._50020a3X4u:ref ]

Hi Ben,

I understand you don't want the license re-sold, but isn't there some way to update my email address?

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 7:03 AM
    To: bparkman@******.com

Hi There,

Thanks for the e-mail.

The issue is because the e-mail provided when purchasing the license was bparkman@******.net. The details provided on purchase of the license cannot be changed. This is because we don't allow licenses to be re-sold.

Kind regards,
    Ben
    Unity Support
    Sent: 20/03/2014 16:52

Hi Ben,

Yes, when I went to the link, accounts.unity3d.com/edit, my email address was already bparkman@******.com, which I had changed to quite a while ago.
    When I prepaid for Unity 5 yesterday, the receipt came to my old email address even though, as I said, I had changed to my new one quite a while ago. Is there any way you can double check that my old email address has been removed and all my receipts and mail will come to my new address? My old address is bparkman@******.net. This old address still works, but I am phasing it out and may have to get rid of it soon. Thanks.

Barbara Parkman

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:33 AM
    To: bparkman@******.com

Hi There,

Thanks for the e-mail.

Did you change the e-mail address attached to your account via the link below?

accounts.unity3d.com/edit

Let me know if you have any further problems.

Kind regards,
    Ben
    Unity Support
    Sent: 19/03/2014 18:15
    Subject: changes email address

Hi Unity,

I changed my email address in my Unity profile to bparkman@******.com <mailto:bparkman@******.com> some time ago, but I am still getting emails and even my purchase invoice at my old email address. Is there any way to get my email address updated with you? I can still get email at my old address, but I am phasing it out. Please make the change to my new address, bparkman@******.com <mailto:bparkman@******.com> . Thanks.

Barbara Parkman

ref:_00D20M42f._50020a3X4u:ref​

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  16. bitcrusher

bitcrusher

hey, remove you email from the forums, don't want spammers to get at it.. also it is just a bad idea to put your email in public like that.

17. goat

goat

It's what I told you - they can't change it. You must. Ask Ben for the URL to change it. It's an obtuse URL.

18. Zaffer

Zaffer

Hi Bitcrusher:
    Oops, too late now, somehow, I don't think having my email out on the Unity forum will be too bad -- mostly good folk here.

Hi Goat:
    I think Ben would have given me the URL if he could. I asked him if there were any way to get my email updated.

Hi Graham:
    As I said, I had already changed my email address in my account, long before I ordered Unity 5.0. Do you know anything about what Goad it talking about -- an obtuse URL to change the email address associated with my license?

Thanks everybody.

Zaffer

19. Ostwind

Ostwind

I think he means bots roaming around the net will collect those addresses automatically to mailing lists and distribute them to another spam networks. It will just cause extra load on mail servers and clever spams will always pass em if you are hit with 10k mails per day. You should pm mod to edit them out quickly or use the report post feature :)

20. Zaffer

Zaffer

Thanks Ostwind, I edited out my email address in my own post and PM'd the Mod to ask him to do it in Goat's copy of my post. PM'd Goat too. Hope one of them takes care of it. Sorry for the inconvenience everybody.

Zaffer

21. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Done.

22. Zaffer

Zaffer

Thanks Graham and Goat: Nice to know there are considerate people in the Unity community who will help somebody who has made a mistake :)

23. goat

goat

Well I changed my email address because of spambot and get this: because my old email address at icloud was associated with a Apple Developer account - I can't change it. And I can't delete it. I periodically check it but I'd like to delete it so those that know me will start using my new address and the spammers will go away.

And in the case of Apple it's not some obscure URL that Unity had to point me to - they flat out won't do it. I will try again when I'm ready to sit be the phone on hold two or 3 hours.

24. Zaffer

Zaffer

Thanks Goat, I really appreciate your editing your post to get rid of my email address. I hope it was in time and that no bots got it.

As for the original problem of Unity not wanting to change the email address associated with my license, I don't know -- just hope they change their policy by the next time I need to renew.

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

its still easy to locate zaffer / your email. Please remove the email lines entirely for your own peace of mind/security :)

26. Ben-Stoneman

Ben-Stoneman

Services Support

(I'm looking into this for you)

27. Zaffer

Zaffer

Thanks Ben, I appreciate it.

Zaffer