Search Unity

Can't buy assets - Tax number is required

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by mrCharli3, Apr 7, 2019.

1. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

When trying to buy an asset I get the message "Tax number required". I do not own a company, and I've never had this issue before. Is this a bug? Not sure how to proceed.

2. mrCharli3 likes this.
  3. NatCou

NatCou

I get the message "Tax number required"
    The Swiss Federal Council has decided that from 2019 online purchases made from companies overseas will be subjected to Swiss value-added tax (VAT). ... But i'm not a company so why am I getting this error? seems like a switch is missing in the purchase form (individual purchase or company??)

4. Dudechester

Dudechester

Where's the British pound? Wtf is a Euro? no thanks.

mrrusby likes this.
  5. joe_crawley

joe_crawley

I'm having the same issue in the UK, i'm not a business so I don't have a VAT number

6. Moonjump

Moonjump

On the page where you enter all your information. There is a section asking something like (I'm doing this from memory) "Are you exempt from paying VAT?" and it defaults to yes. You have to change it from the default setting every time you buy something.

M4koren likes this.
  7. M4koren

M4koren

In my case I just had to click "No" to make the tax number field disappear, and it will update the price (which actually didn't change in my case).

I assume there's something you can do as a business entity to reduce the tax amount, but if you're just a regular guy it seems to work fine without reducing consumption tax.

upload_2021-6-6_9-20-4.png

8. mrrusby

mrrusby

well i a uk based am self employed, have a 10 digtit tax number, but Unity Store says it is invalid. Means i can't buy stuff
    from unity store without paying extra tax. Puts me off using it TBH

9. mrrusby

mrrusby

This could potentially lose asset creators thousands of sales, really needs to be addressed. In the Uk there are limited companies who have a VAT number and self employed like me who don't, just have a UTR ( unique tax reference) and are classed as an LLP. this means i do not have a VAT number.
    Why on earth should we have to pay taxes to the US when we don't live there

Whta about hobbyists etc, they wouldn't have a tax ref and would have to pay up to a third more for each product

10. mrrusby

mrrusby

still no reply on this. real shame as i would like to support Unity creators