Search Unity

Question Can't build DLL without referencing Unity.CoreModule directly

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by HugoZink, Jul 2, 2020.

1. HugoZink

HugoZink

I'm building a collection of editor scripts for Unity on Unity 2018.4.20f1. I made a separate assembly definition file for these editor scripts, and I'm using Visual Studio 2019 to compile them into DLL's.

When loading the built DLL in another project, I get this warning:
    However, this appears to not be true. When I remove this reference from my C# project, I get build errors about UnityEngine.CoreModule missing:
    So Unity wants me to remove these references, but if I remove them, the project no longer builds. Is this a bug? I already have a reference to UnityEngine in the build.

Any ideas?

ernest_unity295 likes this.
  2. shuudev

shuudev

I also face same problem, any ideas ?

3. theobject

theobject

Also having this problem. It seems like just using references to UnityEngine.dll and UnityEngine.UI.dll are not enough when building the dll in Visual Studio. It refuses to build unless I add references to:
    • UnityEngine.CoreModule.dll
    • UnityEditor.CoreModule.dll
    • UnityEngine.IMGUIModule.dll
    • UnityEngine.TextRenderingModule.dll
    • UnityEngine.UIModule.dll
    After I add those references is builds fine. But if I use that dll in a new empty unity project, I get the following build error:

ArgumentException: The Assembly UnityEditor.CoreModule is referenced by mydll ('Assets/mydata/mydll.dll'). But the dll is not allowed to be included or could not be found.
    UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper.AddReferencedAssembliesRecurse (System.String assemblyPath, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] alreadyFoundAssemblies, System.String[] allAssemblyPaths, System.String[] foldersToSearch, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] cache, UnityEditor.BuildTarget target) (at <d6a6a4b561b9431dbfe2c61f7bf0d405>:0)
    UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper.FindAssembliesReferencedBy (System.String[] paths, System.String[] foldersToSearch, UnityEditor.BuildTarget target) (at <d6a6a4b561b9431dbfe2c61f7bf0d405>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)​

4. ernest_unity295

ernest_unity295

Also interested in this topic

5. silentslack

silentslack

I have the same issue. Gah! Did you find a solution for this!?

6. silentslack

silentslack

I just solved this by building a "non-editor" version of the DLL for the target unity project I wanted to build (basically stripped out the editor code when building the DLL in visual studio)