Search Unity

Can't build: Build failed due to "asset dissapeared"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Oniros88, May 19, 2022.

1. Oniros88

Oniros88

I am getting this almost every time I try to build. It has made working impossible right now as I manage to build once every 2 hours of constantly restarting the editor and trying again.
    upload_2022-5-19_23-18-27.png
    Seems to be something with SharedAssets or the globalgamemanagerassets file but I can't ever find what.

Using an InstanceIDFinder always returns absolutely random stuff that ranges from core package parts to prefab child objects, but that is not actually missing. Some times inputting the InstanceID returns an object that does not exist beucase ID is a very high number.

I tried reinstalling unity, upgrading the project to another version, deleting library, deleting cache, building just an empty scene, doing a reimport all, disabling all the addressables in my project, wiping unity completely, wiping all package folders both in cache and project and redownloading them... EVERYTHING. Builds always work with a newly empty created project. But since I tried almost anything in my main project I can't understand what can be causing this.

I can't find ANYTHING about this kind of build error anywhere. Thing is, if a build manages to finish, the project itself runs perfectly (not issues, no bugs, all is fine) but its only when I get lucky after around 2-3 hours of constantly trying to get a build finished. Its only an editor issue interrumpting almost every build attempt.

UPDATE: I found a way to somewhat reliably be able to get a build done: as soon as I enter the editor, trigger the build, before opening any tab (including console) or changing anything. Seems way "hacky" but at least I can continue my work this way. Why this happens I still don't know. Maybe with the extra info about the builds actually working reliably as long as I don't do other things like opening the console in the editor first, it can help understanding this.

UPDATE2: I performed a fresh windows install, checked my RAM, essentially stripped the project of almost all the plugins but the barebones, including deleting all project files but the "Assets" and "ProjectSettings" folders and letting Unity recreate everything, wiped all cache EVERYTHING AND STILL HAPPENS.

At this point I feel my project is just cursed and im pondering abandoning it despite it being 5 years of work.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  2. Oniros88

Oniros88

No one?

3. spiney199

spiney199

Googling make it seem like a seldom occurring issue, though one thread I found suggested a Reimport all as this could be due to corrupted assets.

4. Oniros88

Oniros88

I already deleted whole Library folder once. Should I try the Reimport all anyway? Thanks

5. spiney199

spiney199

What other options do you have at present?

6. Oniros88

Oniros88

None really, trying it out.

7. Oniros88

Oniros88

Nothing, didn't work. I don't know what else to do. Working like this is impossible.

8. Oniros88

Oniros88

Updated with a very specific situation in which this doesn't happen.

9. Oniros88

Oniros88

Please, seriously, NO ONE?