Search Unity

Can't attach Unity to Visual Studio

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by DrDress, Sep 16, 2019.

1. DrDress

DrDress

Ok I updated to VS 2019 I now I can select this:

But now I get this option:

I don't know what to do here. The "OK" button is greyed out :-(. Any help?

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Can you select Evolution position?

3. DrDress

DrDress

Aaah... yeah I might have tried that myself... Oh well it did the trick. Thanks alot!

Antypodish likes this.
  4. DrDress

DrDress

Well actually it works a little odd. When I select Evolution it starts debugging, and when I start in Unity it will run the scripts and get stuck in the breakpoints as it should. But when I stop again the debugging also stops and I can edit the code again. But I then have to do all the same stuff again if I want to run in debugging mode again. That's pretty annoying. Isn't there a way to always start the debugger in VS when I run in Unity without a lot of manual stuff?

5. Antypodish

Antypodish

Technically once you attach, it should stay attached.
    But as far I have experienced unfortunately, Latest Unity with VS is quite temperamental.
    Which version of Unity you are using?

6. DrDress

DrDress

version 2019.2.0f1

7. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

You should only need to press F5 (Or Start button) to attach to your Editor in your case.

Using "Attach to Unity debugger" is useful when:
    - you want to debug a local or remote player
    - you have several editor instances running
    - you want to do orchestrated debugging, like debugging the editor and several players at the same time

Seb

8. Antypodish

Antypodish

Is not always true, since VS sometimes don't want to attach at all. Restarting both Unity and VS is best remedy in my case.
    However, I
    am not sure if that is more VS, or actually Python related, as I had been installing recently python and had some conflicts with VS version of python. Coincidentally I upgraded Unity to 2019 at the same period. And VS Unity attaching troubles become more often since then.

Reinstalling VS didn't help.

9. Gabe851

Gabe851

i fixed this by going to edit > preferences > and checking the bool next to 'Player Projects' under 'generate .csproj files for:' and clicking 'Regenerate project files' button. The other stuff did not work for me

10. tingwen55555

tingwen55555

I have this problem sometimes. Try deleting the .sln file created in your project folder (where you see your assets and library..etc). It fixed it for me

11. mastermemorex

mastermemorex

Try to delete de .csproj and .sln files. Unity will regenerate those files. That worked for me.

12. nikix22

nikix22

I founded one solution which might work for all cases. 1. Just start any version of VS separately from Unity. 2. Open solution file which is previously generated for project. 3. Open Unity, and double click on any script. It will be opened in VS and Attach will be there.

Note: I have project in Unity 5 and was working with VS 2017. Sln file is generated by VS 2017. And now on this way I can use VS 2019 and VS 2022 normaly.

13. desdinovait

desdinovait

Perfect solution, thanks