Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Can't assign custom Material to Terrain anymore

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by ProBaller3000, Apr 13, 2023.

1. ProBaller3000

ProBaller3000

I'm currently working on a custom Terrain shader and got it working. Now I tried to expand my Terrain but ran into a problem when creating new Terrain and assigning my custom material to it. The terrain won't render at all and I get the following error:

Instancing: Unhandled property 'unity_ObjectToWorldArray'. Values are undefined.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility: ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

At the same time I have my "working" Terrain with the same Material Assigned to it, which renders perfectly fine in the same Scene.

Even started a whole new project reproducing the error in a simpler way: Create new terrain -> assign any default material to it (other than default terrain materials) -> same problem and same error message.

Has anyone else had that problem? It drives me crazy and can't figure out what the problem is. Plus I'm 100% sure that assigning any standard material, even if it is not a unity terrain material, worked before Yesterday. I didn't change anything in my Terrain Tools Package or Unity Version in the meantime.

Currently using:
    Terrain Tools Version 4.0.5 - February 13, 2023
    Unity 2021.3.12f1
    Built - in 3D template Render Pipeline

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  2. ProBaller3000

ProBaller3000

Found the difference myself: When I create the new terrain with the terrain toolbox, the custom terrain shader messes up the whole scene and doesn't work at all. But if I create the terrain in hirarchy - via right click - create terrain, everything works fine.

3. le0tard

le0tard

same error, my workaround was to finish the 3d work with the terrain toolbox, then export the hightmap as .raw, then create a new terrain by rightclicking the hierarchy, and importing the .raw heightmap to that new terrain.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2023