Search Unity

Can't Add NavMesh Component Package on Githab

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by seoli1225, Jun 24, 2022.

1. seoli1225

seoli1225

I want to add the High Level API Components for Runtime NavMesh Building on Githab. Link: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/NavMeshComponents/tree/master

I first tried to add it with the Git URL and unity responded this error
    [Package Manager Window] Cannot perform upm operation: Unable to add package [https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/NavMeshComponents.git]:
    [https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/NavMeshComponents.git] does not point to a valid package. No package manifest was found. [NotFound].
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions ()

then I opened it with Github desktop and try to add the package from disk. However, unity responds with "Please select a valid package.json file in a package folder."

I am currently using Unity version 2021.3.3f1

I am very new to using open-source on GitHub, so I might make some very silly mistakes. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. Use the last released one in package form, the just click the
    Add Package by Name
    menu option and use the
    com.unity.ai.navigation
    name. It is newer than the last submit in the repo you linked.

seoli1225 likes this.
  3. seoli1225

seoli1225

Sorry for the late response ><
    Thank you so much for your suggestion! I can add the package now!
    This package is currently Experimental. Is that alright? Can I still publicize the game if I used an experimental package?

4. seoli1225

seoli1225

By the way, do you know why I was not able to add the package from GitHub? I am tried for so long and I am really curious about what I did wrong. Would I be able to download other package from GitHub
    By the way, thank you so much for your response! The Navmesh Component finally worked!! :)))))))))))

5. Sure, if you can make it work, you can use it. But it is what it is, experimental package, so it may have some bugs. Unity stopped developing this package a while ago, they will get back to it at some point, but we don't know when. If you find it useful, use it, otherwise check out the A* Pathfinding Pro asset on the Asset Store. I recommend that package.
    Because that github main isn't a package, if you switch to the Package branch, you can install it as a package. All packages have to have
    package.json
    file in the root.

6. seoli1225

seoli1225

Thank you so much!

7. seoli1225

seoli1225

I think I have the package.json downloaded in the disk.
    upload_2022-6-28_18-51-2.png
    upload_2022-6-28_18-51-29.png
    is it not the one? When I tried to add the package from disk, I click on this JSON file.

8. warthos3399

warthos3399

The easiest way is to just download it, open it, and place (copy/paste) the NavMesh Components folder into the Assets section of your project...