Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot use namespace System.Net.Http and others from .NET 4.6

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by menda90, Jan 9, 2018.

1. menda90

menda90

I am using Unity 2017.3.0f3 and VS 2017 (ver. 15.5.2) with 4.6 .NET enabled.

When I am trying to use some classes from namespace System.Net.Http Visual Studio telling me that "The type or namespace Http does not exists in namespace System.Net". I tried to add reference directly in *.csproj and it worked fine but - after opening solution again - it is removed. What's more regarding namespace System - I observed that in csproj there are only references like this: https://pastebin.com/xT3jn2kr . The same issue is with System.ServiceModel namespace and others.

I have no idea how to add other references.
    What I'm doing wrong ? It looks like VS see only some libs from ...lib\mono\4.6-api directory.

2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

The .csproj files generated by Unity are for output only. Unity never reads them to determine how to build things, so you want to avoid modifying them. Instead, create a file named mcs.rsp in the Assets directory of your Unity project, and add the references there, like this:

-r:System.Net.Http.dll

codestage, thorwood and menda90 like this.
  3. menda90

menda90

Thank you very much, it solves my problem!

JoshPeterson likes this.
  4. roshaantariq

roshaantariq

I'm having the same problem on Unity 2017.3 Mac
    Tried your above given solution but didn't work out. Any idea how to resolve? Thanks in advance

5. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

When you add the mcs.rsp file to your project, does the error message change at all? Can you provide the specific error message that you see in that case?

6. Mathan1993

Mathan1993

Hi, I am using 2018.1 unity version I got some error when I add some plugin error CS1070: The type `System.Net.Http.HttpClient' has been forwarded to an assembly that is not referenced. Consider adding a reference to assembly `System.Net.Http, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
    after that I create mcs.rsp file and put it inside the asset folder in the mcs.rsp file I added -r:System.Net.Http.dll this line but I got the same error please help me out.

7. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I think you may want to name the file csc.rsp instead of mcs.rcp.

8. Mathan1993

Mathan1993

I am trying both but I got same error.

9. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

What Scripting Runtime Version and Api Compatibility Level settings are you using?

10. Mathan1993

Mathan1993

inside this mcs.rcp txt file to add -r:System.Net.Http.dll this line is enough right after that no need to add any line?

11. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Yes, that line should be enough.

12. Mathan1993

Mathan1993

Attached Files:

13. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

That looks correct - I'm unsure why this does not work. You could try a newer version of Unity - maybe a 2018.4 release.

14. Mathan1993

Mathan1993

See this correct root Path right?

Attached Files:

15. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Yes, that mcs.rsp or csc.rsp file should be in the Assets directory. Note that mcs.rsp will definitely not work, based on your other settings, the file must be named csc.rsp.

16. TheZombieKiller

TheZombieKiller

17. PunhoNinja

PunhoNinja

In my project I solved this by switching from .NET 4x to .NET Standard 2.0

18. Galactus210

Galactus210

I have the same problem when trying to use System.IdentityModel.Tokens.Jwt. I'll try to create that file. It has support for .net 4 up to 6, But when has run the command dotnet --info no vscode it says I'm using version 7.x.x I tried to change it to some 6.x.x version, but It didn't work.

19. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Make sure that you are using a version of System.IdentityModel.Tokens.Jwt built for .NET Standard 2.0 or 2.1.

I'm not entirely sure what that library is, but Unity does not support anything built for .NET 5 or later, right now.

20. Galactus210

Galactus210

Thank you, I changed the version to a older one and it worked