Search Unity

Bug Cannot substitute multiple values

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by syjgin, Oct 16, 2020.

1. syjgin

syjgin

https://stackoverflow.com/questions...ns-generic-list1system-string-instead-of-data got same result while trying to fill smart string with multiple values (tried strings and enum values).
    String:
    Excellent. We are moving, but too slow. This is good for maneuvers, but to get anywhere faster, you need to accelerate. Press {0} to increase speed. You can also decrease speed with {0} and switch speeds with the mouse
    Code to display text:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. _replicText.text = Smart.Format(result, keyCodes);
    where keycodes is List of KeyCode objects. But with list of string I got same result. With smart library list formatting https://github.com/axuno/SmartFormat/wiki/Lists all works fine, but what can I do if I want to insert array elements into different parts of string?

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Did you try passing the list as an argument in a list?
    Like the example:
    Code (csharp):
    1. _replicText.text = Smart.Format(result,  new object[] { keyCodes });

3. syjgin

syjgin

no effect:
    upload_2020-10-17_9-0-41.png

4. syjgin

syjgin

The walkaround is to pass array elements individual, but not whole array as argument:
    Text:
    Excellent. We are moving, but too slow. This is good for maneuvers, but to get anywhere faster, you need to accelerate. Pressing will increase {0}, {1} will decrease the speed. You can also switch speeds with the mouse

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (keyCodes.Count == 0)
    2.                 {
    3.                     _replicText.text = result;
    4.                 }
    5.                 //TODO: rewrite this
    6.                 else if(keyCodes.Count == 1)
    7.                 {
    9.                     _replicText.text = Smart.Format(result, keyCodes[0]);
    10.                 }
    11.                 else if(keyCodes.Count == 2)
    12.                 {
    14.                     _replicText.text = Smart.Format(result, keyCodes[0], keyCodes[1]);
    15.                 }
    16.                 else {
    17.                     _replicText.text = Smart.Format(result, keyCodes);
    18.                 }
    Maybe, this is not related to localization, but for Smart library itself. Maybe, I just using it wrongly, and there are proper way for use array elements in multiple places on the string exists

5. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Oh I see. You want the individual elements from the array. Doing {0} etc will treat it like a normal String.Format argument.

I'll have a closer look on Monday to see if it's possible. You can always create a custom source if it's not.

Edit: I just noticed you are using Smart. How are you fetching the strings? Have you tried passing the arguments in when you get the values instead of directly using Smart?

Code (csharp):
    1. LocalizationSettings.StringDatabase.GetLocalizedStringAsync("General Test Data", "Test", new object[] { KeyCode.A, KeyCode.LeftShift });

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020