Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Cannot submit change to server on Collab

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by bradarnott, Nov 11, 2016.

1. bradarnott

bradarnott

Hello, currently having an issue whereby I cannot publish my work in the collab project I am working on. Error lines are.

Code (CSharp):
    1. [Collab 2016-1111 21:11:43 GMT] Error 'Cannot submit change to server' (23) returned in '/Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Src/Collab/Requests/SubmitRequest.cpp' at line 147
    2. [Collab 2016-1111 21:11:43 GMT] SubmitRequest  failed, Reason: 422 Url: https://collab.cloud.unity3d.com/api/projects/13b4bf85-e70c-4d0d-a471-84f6d48b0c22/branches/master/revisions Result: {"server":"production-collab-7","detail":"GitRepoService::NameTakenError: The name of a file or directory is already taken: case must match.","date":"2016-11-11T21:11:43.517Z","request_id":"ccdcfe26-284e-44c8-8e88-1b91d8382d65","code":"INTERNAL","file_or_dir":{"path":"/Assets/Textures.meta"}}
    3. [Collab 2016-1111 21:11:43 GMT] Error 'Cannot submit change to server' (23) returned in '/Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Src/Collab/Jobs/CollabPublishAsyncJob.cpp' at line 339
    4. [Collab 2016-1111 21:11:43 GMT] Error 'Cannot submit change to server' (23) returned in '/Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Src/Collab/Requests/SubmitRequest.cpp' at line 147
    5. [Collab 2016-1111 21:11:43 GMT] SubmitRequest  failed, Reason: 422 Url: https://collab.cloud.unity3d.com/api/projects/13b4bf85-e70c-4d0d-a471-84f6d48b0c22/branches/master/revisions Result: {"server":"production-collab-7","detail":"GitRepoService::NameTakenError: The name of a file or directory is already taken: case must match.","date":"2016-11-11T21:11:43.517Z","request_id":"ccdcfe26-284e-44c8-8e88-1b91d8382d65","code":"INTERNAL","file_or_dir":{"path":"/Assets/Textures.meta"}}
    6. [Collab 2016-1111 21:11:43 GMT] Error 'Cannot submit change to server' (23) returned in '/Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Src/Collab/Jobs/CollabPublishAsyncJob.cpp' at line 339
    I am brand new to this feature and do not know if its me just being new or a general issue.

2. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

hi @bradarnott
    did you at one point recase the Assets/Textures folder?

please change it back to its original case and you will be able to commit normally again.

cagribenli likes this.
  3. Prodev101

Prodev101

Getting the same issue.. using 5.5B11 Would be nice for you to actually display the filename that's the problem in the editor console.

all i get this is!

[Collab] GitRepoService::NameTakenError: The name of a file or directory is already taken: case must match.
    0x00000001414FCFBB (Unity) StackWalker::GetCurrentCallstack
    0x00000001414FEC6E (Unity) StackWalker::ShowCallstack
    0x00000001414CD503 (Unity) GetStacktrace
    0x00000001411D572A (Unity) DebugStringToFile
    0x00000001411D5B9C (Unity) DebugStringToFile
    0x00000001402FC371 (Unity) LogUserDetailMessageToConsole
    0x0000000140353D13 (Unity) CollabRequests::SubmitRequest::parseResult
    0x000000014034583B (Unity) CollabRequests::SubmitRequest::Done
    0x000000014050D953 (Unity) CurlRequest::Check
    0x000000014051B3EF (Unity) CurlRequestCheck
    0x0000000141477909 (Unity) Application::TickTimer
    0x000000014153A8A0 (Unity) FindMonoBinaryToUse
    0x000000014153BEB1 (Unity) WinMain
    0x0000000141856EA8 (Unity) strnlen
    0x00007FFE34468364 (KERNEL32) BaseThreadInitThunk
    0x00007FFE34EC5E91 (ntdll) RtlUserThreadStart

4. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

@Prodev101 In most cases you would (see bradarnott's post above) could you submit a bug report after trying again (just so i get the logs) and ping me the case #? lets try to find out why your editor isn't logging the file correctly.

5. ckirby101

ckirby101

Sent entire project (its only tiny , that's why were testing Collab using it).

Bug 852500

holliebuckets likes this.
  6. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Got it! Will respond via bug :) Thank you so much @ckirby101 !

7. Filoppi

Filoppi

I'm having the same problem after renaming a folder that was lower case to upper case. I'll just add a (2) at the end of the word so that i can commit while waiting for a fix.
    Thanks.

guofeng63667 likes this.
  8. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

@Filoppi I don't know what version you are on, but we did have some known recasing bugs. A lot of them have been fixed, but how many of those fixes you have may depend on your version of the editor. Also we have noticed that recasing a file name combined with another change does seem to cause issues (so a recasing combined with a file move, two different members of the same project recasing the same file, etc.). If you just do a single recase and a commit, you should generally be fine.

If not, go ahead and send a bug report for that, and if possible attach screenshots so we see exactly what you are doing. I mean, send the bug report either way whenever you are hitting errors with a stack or crash like this, and launching the Unity editor with the -enableCollabEventLogs on command line makes the logs for the bug report even better. Sometimes this is our fault, and sometimes it's complications like someone using collab with a case insensitive file system. We are doing our best to prevent issues like this from affecting users, as you shouldn't have to worry about this, and knowing all the use cases for we need to cover is really helpful.

9. IronLionZion

IronLionZion

I'm getting the same error as Prodev101 but it's only this line:
    [Collab] GitRepoService::NameTakenError: The name of a file or directory is already taken: case must match.
    No mention of the actual file that is causing the problem.

10. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

Same error here. The only thing I did in my project was to create a new folder where I imported a couple of meshes with the same name as some already found in another folder in the project. Too bad the error message doesn`t say anything about the "corrupted" filenames though. :/

11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@IronLionZion and @br0kenp0ly,

I'm sorry you two have been encountering this frustrating bug. In most cases it is possible to see which renamed file/folder Collab is having issues with by opening up your logs (you can find them here or by opening Unity, going to the Console window, clicking on the top-rightmost drop down list, and clicking on Open Editor Log) and searching for the NameTakenError. In that error, you should see a field called "path:" which should tell you the name of the problem file/folder. Check on the web to see what it is supposed to be named by navigating to your project's dashboard (in the Services tab, click on Collaborate, then on Go to Dashboard in the top right). The Assets tab for the project will show the appropriate casing.

We do plan to upgrade that error message to make it easier for you to unblock yourself. Let us know if that helps or if you run into any other issues.

12. IronLionZion

IronLionZion

Yes, thank you. This helped locate the problem file. The project web page had 2 folders in the same directory called 'Mud' and 'mud', while I only had 'Mud' and another project member had 'mud'. Conflict resolved, I can submit changes now.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  13. elettrozero

elettrozero

Thank you sir, you saved the day.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  14. UDN_984a6a41-7efc-499d-836d-6707af862f13

UDN_984a6a41-7efc-499d-836d-6707af862f13

Im having the same issue on 5.6.0f3 personal.

Code (csharp):
    1. {[Collab] GitRepoService::NameTakenError: The name of a file or directory is already taken: case must match.
    3. (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Src/Collab/CollabCommon.cpp Line: 86)}
    Doesnt look like ' C:\buildslave' is a valid file location.

Any ideas on how to get my project to sync again?

15. grgsox

grgsox

Launch Unity with the -enableCollabEventLogs flag and there should be another file listed there with the case issue. Your change includes a file or folder rename where the name is the same but the casing is different. You'll have to return it to the original casing or do a rename to a different word/phrase/spelling. Worst case scenario, submit a bug report with the logs and support can tell you which file it is.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  16. Sievlar

Sievlar

I have the same issue, I tried to submit a case with logs, however support has been unable to help me, I don't think the bothered to look at the logs, instead kept asking me to do things like delete my project settings, library files, etc. Nothing has helped yet. Why can't the error message simply tell us which files are problematic, then we can fix this problem ourselves? I have been unable to submit my project for more than a month now, and support has been unable to help.

17. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Sievlar, I'm so sorry that you've been stuck for so long! You mentioned that you tried submitting a case with logs, but did you try my above mentioned suggestion of looking through your Logs for a NameTakenError to find the problem file path? Try opening Unity from the Command Line or Terminal with the following argument: -enableCollabEventLogs. Then try to Publish again. If you get another error, then try looking through your logs for any mentions of errors.

You're right that the error message should be easier to find and we still aim to improve our error handling. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you find anything in your logs.

18. Sievlar

Sievlar

Thanks! I don't know what I did wrong last time I tried, this time I saw the offending folder and fixed it. I am now able to publish again! Many thanks!

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  19. Spinnetje11

Spinnetje11

Hello, I'm not able to publish anything either. I've looked at the editor log but there isn't a NameTakenError...

20. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm sorry to hear that, @Spinnetje11. Are you seeing any errors in your log? Have you tried running Unity with the -enableCollabEventLogs first to see if any errors are listed in your log?

21. Spinnetje11

Spinnetje11

Thank you for yor quick reply!

I'm quite new to this so I stuggled with the command promt a bit.

I think I have started Unity now with -enableCommandEventLogs but there aren't any new errors as far as I know... I added a screenshot because I'm not sure wether I am able to even reconize the error...

Attached Files:

22. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

No problem! And no worries about being new to this!

Would you mind sending me a direct message of your log? You can message me by clicking on my name next to any of posts here, then click on Start a Conversation. Sadly, you can't attach files in a direct message but you can copy and paste your log in the message. No worries on if it's really long.

23. TheFlyvio

TheFlyvio

This kind of error persists in the 5.6.1f1... Tow of my image extensions changed from "JPG" to "jpg" and this error has taken my day... Frustrating

24. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

That is incredibly frustrating. Can you change your image extensions back to JPG or use Collab History to restore to your last commit to see if that will let you publish again?

25. TheFlyvio

TheFlyvio

I renamed the images to the same extension and worked. Thanks @ryanc-unity, and sorry for being so whiny. You are always so helpful, thanks

MermaidTribeAlpha and Ryan-Unity like this.
  26. Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Stupid reply... Collaborate means Team work, what if another Team member is changing the directory / file names (which happens to me)...

The headaches this tool creates... It might just be the reason why teams split up!

ina likes this.
  27. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Miscellaneous! Sorry for the late reply. I totally get running into naming conflicts on a project, especially if you're just starting out and figuring out where assets and stuff should go. I personally like to come up with a mini TDD that (at the very least) details a preferred folder structure for the project that the team can reference when they aren't sure where to put or name things. I hope that helps.

28. palmsleaf

palmsleaf

Hi , I am having problems uploading changes to the server as well. My org ID is: 2474009800395

29. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @palmsleaf! I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues uploading changes. Would you mind submitting a support ticket using the steps here? Our Support team would be happy to help.

30. digimbyte

digimbyte

2019, this still exists as an issue. I've gotten some resource packs that I had in the collab but since moved them and renamed them, but Unity doesn't like that. period.
    it might be due to some Asian characters "__곷€___怨쀬뵠__ 筌뤴뫁_앮묾__袁_ __쑵六얏묾_f-16_a_2048"

31. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @digimbyte, you're right that currently Collab does not fully support Asian characters. There are serialization issues on Unity's side that results in Collab thinking there are changes when there aren't any, causing Collab to get confused and refuse to submit new changes. Unfortunately, the temporary workaround for now is to remove non-ASCII characters from any asset names. After we finish our redesign of the Collab UI we can begin to address proper support of Unicode characters.

32. digimbyte

digimbyte

that would be great to support, I managed to fix it by having renaming the item to something else then creating a new item with the asain name. submitting that, then deleting the asain named object.

I am eagerly waiting to when we can force override the collab with a new master. purge what's on the cloud and reset it without creating new project.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  33. digimbyte

digimbyte

what would be the possability of Unity 2018 LTS getting this patch if/when it ever comes out?
    I can't upgrade and I have this issue again and my previous work around is not working anymore.

34. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @digimbyte, our overall refactor of Collab will definitely be supported on 2018 LTS.

digimbyte likes this.
  35. metinevren

metinevren

[Collab] GitRepoService::NameTakenError: The name of a file or directory is already taken: case must match. Conflicting: ["/Assets/Scripts/RoadMap.cs.meta", "/Assets/Scripts/Roadmap.cs.meta"]

I changed the script name from RoadMap to Roadmap. I'm checking my folders and I don't have a file named RoadMap.cs.meta. I don't know what to do. Am I not able to change script name ever?

(Unity 2019.3.0f6)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  36. metinevren

metinevren

I restarted Unity and it seems to be fixed.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  37. o0658385906lm

o0658385906lm

is this what im supposed to find?? [Collab 2021-0122 18:21:09 GMT][Error] 'Cannot submit change to server' (23) returned in 'C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Src/Collab/Requests/UploadRequests.cpp' at line 150

38. jardle1

jardle1

I simply could not get anything to work. I was able to solve this issue by:

1. Copy any affected files to another folder outside the project.
    2. Delete the affected files from the project.
    3. Restart Unity and Publish changes.
    4. Copy the files back into the project and publish.

Unfortunately, you will need to re-wire any references inside the editor for these files. In my case, they were art files, so it wasn't a big problem.