Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

cannot start process because a file name has not been provided

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by unity3dxiaoyu, May 22, 2019.

1. unity3dxiaoyu

unity3dxiaoyu

I installed 2019.3.0 today, new project, new step, open step, engine popup cannot start process because a file name has not been provided , How to solve thank you

2. JLT93

JLT93

Dealing with a similar thing. Everything was fine and then out of no where, anything added to my project was not being updated in the VS solution. I basically had a broken solution. I read that removing the vs files will trigger unity to regenerate them. Nope. Nothing. I cannot even open the project in VS anymore.

Going to have to start anew - Maybe I'll avoid using beta / alpha versions of Unity for now.

3. Kareemhegazy133

Kareemhegazy133

I have same issue, Please help!

4. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

Could you try going to package manager and update the Visual Studio Editor package to version 1.0.11? I believe this should resolve the issue, otherwise we can have a look at it.

reulew and noor300 like this.
  5. asker2332

asker2332

I have the same issue, even after trying to update Visual Studio Editor package to version 1.0.11. Any extra info on that? I started my uni project on 2019.3.0a2 for some reason and now i do not have the time to redo all my work. I shouldn't have went for the alpha version, but i just downloaded the recommended one by the unity hub.

6. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

Which version of Visual Studio are you using and can you send me a screenshot of how your External Tools menu under Preferences look like?

7. rinunity

rinunity

Yup, even update the VS to new version still bug out of nowhere: Cannot start process because a file name has not been provided ??

8. kennysupero

kennysupero

I'm making my first ever game in unity and I follow tutorials but they're all old at least over a few months old

Supareshawn likes this.
  9. kennysupero

kennysupero

also I fixed my script and it says no issues found but I can't play test.

10. Julien-Lynge

Julien-Lynge

Seeing this bug in 2019.2.b6. Attempted to remove and reinstall the Visual Studio Editor package, no change. I have the same project synced on another machine, with a slightly older version of Visual Studio and same version of Unity, and no error there.

Bug report 1165550

11. Julien-Lynge

Julien-Lynge

FYI, in my case, 2019.2.b6 was not setting the external editor to Visual Studio on install, resulting in this error message. (Apologies to airwolf - I should have looked at external tools right away, but I missed that in his post.) Going to preferences and changing it from 'internal' to 'visual studio' fixed it. So, in my case, the question becomes: why did Unity not set the external editor to VS when it installed, considering that it installed VS. Also: the error message could be clearer - it seems like Unity isn't handling the internal setting gracefully.

Supareshawn likes this.
  12. Supareshawn

Supareshawn

Yes this solved the issue thank you!!!!

joshwtwiddy likes this.
  13. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks for pointing that out, the issue has been forwarded to the devs.
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1168707/

14. noor300

noor300

Thank you ,it worked

15. VirtualAwakening

VirtualAwakening

Hello Guys!!... I have followed the proposed solutions and they didn't work out for me.

I have changed in my External tools my Script Editor to Visual Studio 2019 (Community) and in my package manager I have only got Visual Studio Code Editor version 1.0.7, but I haven't got the Visual Studio Editor 1.0.11 package in the manager.

I'm trying to find a way to build an apk to the Oculus Quest using the LWRP with Unity 2019.2.2f1

I read it was possible here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/lwrp-and-oculus-go.546417/

I'm still getting this error:

InvalidOperationException: Cannot start process because a file name has not been provided.

Any ideas on workarounds or solutions?

16. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The change that moved VS support to a package in 2019.2 had been reverted prior to release. A package is no longer required.

Could you please submit a bug report for this issue, ideally with a minimal reproduction project?

17. geronika2004

geronika2004

18. Amon

Amon

I just installed 2019.2.6f1 and I'm getting the same error. I've tried the solutions posted here but none work. I'm using VS Community 2019. When clicking a c# script it does open VS but Intellisense is not working at all.

19. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

@Amon
    First thing is to make sure Visual Studio is chosen as the current code editor. In your case that seems to be fine, as double clicking a c# script opens VS.
    Intellisense is tied to the sln and csproj files, that should be generated for your Unity Project. If these are missing VS cannot generate the projects, with the correct references. So that is the second thing to check.
    Next thing is the VSTU plugin, that Visual Studio uses to communicate with Unity. You can go to the About Window, in Unity. It should tell you "Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Unity x.x.x.x enabled".
    If any of these are not true, that needs to be fixed and you can submit a bug. If neither of those are false, then we need to be creative.

20. Kelentari

Kelentari

@miniwolf_unity I am getting the exact same issue as Amon, with the exact same version of Unity. Installed everything today and I haven't even written my first line of code before running into trouble. VS opens but it doesn't recognise Unity or somesuch. None of the solutions work. As for Intellisense, sln and whatnot - I don't know enough to go poking around on my own :(

21. mbpakalin

mbpakalin

I was running visual studio as administrator. So running unity hub and unity itself force run as administrator solved my problem.

22. hartbrkrlegacy

hartbrkrlegacy

I installed Unity 2019.2.6f1 and started working today. I created a script and defaultly it opened in notepad. I changed it too Notepad++ for smooth coding and I wrote the necessary script for the game. But once I closed it and entered Unity, an exception was shown like "InvalidOperationException:Cannot start process because a file name has not been provided."

Also the variables imported from the script are incomplete. How to solve this?
    Please help.

23. IOU_RAY

IOU_RAY

I ran into this issue tonight. Spent a long time going through every little change I made, until I discovered that I had a bug in a conditional compiler argument that wouldn't be enabled in play mode:

#if UNITY_STANDALONE && UNITY_EDITOR

My editor was set to WebGL at the time and the editor 'played' fine, but the error inside this conditional block for some reason caused the "File name has not been provided" error consistently, seemingly while not really affecting the actual project in the editor.

I doubt this is everyone's case, but hopefully it helps someone.

24. nilsdr

nilsdr

have this bug in 2019 3 6, only when using build & run, build only works just fine

sfilo likes this.
  25. sfilo

sfilo

IT's the same for me on 2019.2.21f1 and 2019.4.18f1. Build only works find but build & run throws the error.

26. Panagopoulos

Panagopoulos

I tried to downgrade a project from 2019 to 2018 and I get it if I try to play it.

27. ArjanTheGreat

ArjanTheGreat

I noticed that I would often get that error "Cannot start the process because a file name has not been provided"

One reasonable step you can do is:
    1. Go to Edit > "Preferences"
    2. Go to the External Tools tab
    3. Set "Visual Studio" as the External Script Editor

28. sfilo

sfilo

I still have this problem with Unity 2019.4.18. I tried all fixed described here but was not able to make it work.