Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot see sky with HD render pipeline

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SilentAndAsleep, Apr 30, 2018.

1. SilentAndAsleep

SilentAndAsleep

Hi! So I've set up the HD render pipeline (by creating a HD render asset and dragging it inside the graphics window in the scriptable render pipeline settings slot) and set the color space mode to Linear. However, the scene color turned to dark grey, and I'm unable to drag a skybox in the scene. I tried clicking on upgrade project materials to high definition pipeline but it didn't help. Here's what it looks like.

EDIT: My bad, these were cubemaps, but I also tried with actual sky materials and I'm still having the same issue.

EDIT: Fixed! If anybody ever has an issue with this, this guy explains how it's done with the HD pipeline

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Alverik likes this.
  2. ahmedsheeraz

ahmedsheeraz

it helped but why it is such a long process? adding so many scripts just to show the sky

CloudyVR and topitsky like this.
  3. sh_code

sh_code

not a long process at all, not adding "so many scripts" at all, guy in the video is just using some fancy thirdparty assets for I have no idea which reason because watching beyond the 2 minute mark is
    a) not necessary
    b) i'm not willing to do it because his sour tone of voice is absolutely annoying

you just:
    1. add an empty gameobject (call it "Scene Settings", because that's what its purpose is, basically)
    2. add a "Volume" script to it, check the "Global" checkbox, click "New" button next to its "Profile" line.
    3. click "Add component overrides" in the Volume script's inspector settings
    4. Pick "HDRI Sky"
    5. enable the "Hdri sky" override in its section that appeared, via the tiny gray circle to the left of the label
    6. put the skybox/cubemap texture into its value field
    7. done

the process takes probably 4 more clicks more than the old one.
    it's one script (Volume), the "component overrides" are just settings of that script.

it's just in a different place and a bit more involved, because the system was re-done to be infinitely more flexible and dynamic.

(The "Profile" asset that was created in step 2 by clicking "New" now contains and saves all of the settings of the volume component. You can have multiple profiles and swap them at will/at runtime, or if you have several volumes in your scene that are not global, you can fluently interpolate between them as a whole, to create transitions such as going from sunny outside to a misty damp cave, or such. And that's where the "infinitely more flexible and powerful" part of this new system comes into play. You're welcome.)

4. sh_code

sh_code

also, now, if you want to globally edit settings of all of the volumes that use the same profile, in all of your scenes where it's used, you don't even have to go looking for a single gameobject that has it attached, you can just select the profile's asset in project explorer, and edit it from there. BOOM. all of the Volumes that use the profile across all of the scenes in your project are automatically using the changed settings.

5. sh_code

sh_code

if you want, you can edit your OP again and remove the annoying guy's annoying and needlessly long video and replace it with the bolded 7-step process I wrote above.
    You're welcome ;)

6. Dzonedhilip

Dzonedhilip

hi anyone tried playing videos using HD pipeline ?

7. Lorca1031

Lorca1031

Does anyone know how to change the HDRI sky by script?

8. Lorca1031

Lorca1031

NVM I just figured it out! In case you're wondering:

You can make a separate Volume profiles and swap em out via code like this

Code (CSharp):
    1. public UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.VolumeProfile profile;
    2.     UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.Volume Volume { get { return FindObjectOfType<UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.Volume>(); }}
    4. void Start()
    5. { Volume.profile = profile; }

Tulsisvt likes this.
  9. Kubic75

Kubic75

This is impossible using the lightweight pipeline, its not listed.
    Any help how to setup a skybox for lightweight?

10. Tulsisvt

Tulsisvt

I'm trying to access the HDRIsky overridden component's exposure value to fade out the sky. Does anyone know how to do this?

11. Tulsisvt

Tulsisvt

I figured it out!
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.VolumeProfile profile;
    3. private UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRISky hDRISky;
    4. void Start(){
    6.         hDRISky = (UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRISky)profile.components[0];
    7.         print(hDRISky.exposure);
    8.     }

12. Rob78

Rob78

Hey, so Procedural Sky materials dont count anymore.. or do we need to source and create a cubemap?

13. Oliv3r885

Oliv3r885

I have done this but i still dont see the sky

14. Drazok

Drazok

I was also missing something. I just had to add Visual Environment component and pick sky type.

upload_2019-2-3_0-9-23.png

Bingo675, Velo222 and theprofessoroak like this.
  15. Wantcha

Wantcha

I've done everything said in this thread and my sky is still grey

16. romainbayer105

romainbayer105

Nice it works. Thanks guy's!

17. jarihy

jarihy

If sky is still grey then check your camera settings and set "Volume Layer Mask" to "Everything".

18. illinar

illinar

My camera definitely is using the volume, all effects work, except the sky, it's always black. I have a light, I have the sky added with default settings. Tried to change the tint. It doesn't seem to work at all.

Procedural sky scripts are imported from samples in the package manager. (Since it is not supported by default now.)

HDRP 7.0.1, Unity 2020.1.0a7

A little annoying that I don't have an option to just use a solid color for the sky..

19. mtessmann

mtessmann

After trying everything above, I also had to do the following (in Unity 2019.2.3f1)
    • Set the HDRI Sky Intensity Mode to Lux (this made the sky appear in the Game view)
    • Turn on Visual Environment Fog and set the Type to None (this got rid of the fog that obscured the ground)

I also just found that I could see the sky with HDRI Sky Intensity Mode in Exposure but then had to increase the exposure up from the default of 0 to above 10. Even so, the sky looked better in the Lux setting.