Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot run game in Editor since win 10 update

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tarabout, Jul 17, 2019.

1. tarabout

tarabout

An update visible in windows restore point called "windows modules installer" keeps reinstalling itself after i restore before it as it is a critical update it seems. But no matter what I do ( reinstalling unity, installing a new version of unity, re cloning my repo, turning off my antivirus,... ) Unity will NOT run in editor and will NOT run any builds created after the update is there. Freezes on start and must be Ctrl alt deleted. Help please!

I am on windows 10 64bits, unity 2018.

2. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Check your editor logs. There should be entries there regarding the reason of problems. (Please don't submit your entire log here, thanks)

3. tarabout

tarabout

Got the editor log, but not seeing anything looking like related errors? Not sure what kind of keyword I should look for. The profiler for the editor also freezes before anything weird shows up when I run the game.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Are you sure the problem is caused by the Windows update, and not that you made a code change causing an infinite loop around the same time you also received a Windows update?

Does this problem happen on a new blank project?

5. tarabout

tarabout

Oh, duh. Why didn't I try that. :L
    Seems blank and other random basic projects run just fine. I assumed it was some windows update because when i system restore before the update ( but do not change the game) then it runs fine.

The project that crashes runs fine on my colleague's computer though and he is also on windows.
    Hmmm...

Joe-Censored likes this.
  6. tarabout

tarabout

Alright, finally got it working. Had to force more windows update that brought my windows to a whole new version it wasnt automatically downloading for some reason. Now everything works again, what a headache.