Search Unity

Cannot post review on Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by xofreshxo, Feb 21, 2021.

1. xofreshxo

xofreshxo

Hello,
    I've been trying to post reviews for a few assets I purchased but it seems like when I write up a review, set a star rating, add a title and press the "Post Review" button, nothing happens. A circle appears on the Post Review button but the review doesn't go through, I don't see an error either. I've tried posting on assets that have lots of reviews as well as well as assets with no or few reviews. I've also tried to post from multiple browsers (Chrome, FireFox & Edge). Unsure why this is happening as I haven't gotten any type of feedback. Any ideas why this is occurring?

nasos_333 likes this.
  2. Recon03

Recon03

did you download them? I know if you just played with a demo or something else, it won't let you, you need to actually download the asset ... I have seen people try and give reviews, only to find they never downloaded it, they just used a friend asset or a demo. So, be sure you had.

3. xofreshxo

xofreshxo

Yes, I have purchased and downloaded the assets. The assets are being used in my project rn and I made sure I am commenting from the Organization that the asset was purchased from.

Necron99 and nasos_333 like this.
  4. Recon03

Recon03

normally that is the only time I ever seen where , someone could not make a review was that either they aren't logged in, or they did not download it from that ACCOUNT. Otherwise contact Unity support... I been here since the store open, years ago. SO that is a first.

5. halley

halley

Ever since they killed the Asset Store tab in the Editor, I get the "Download to Review" on the website and it has never been able to confirm that I have already downloaded it into the Editor. I am logged in on the website. Doesn't matter which browser I use. Doesn't matter if I tell the browser to "Open in Unity". It just assumes I have never downloaded it so I can't write a review.

DucaDiMonteSberna and nasos_333 like this.
  6. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Same here. Purchased and downloaded, but can't review them.

DucaDiMonteSberna and nasos_333 like this.
  7. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Logging out and back in seemed to fix it.

8. Foreman_Dev

Foreman_Dev

I'm currently having an issue where I can't leave a review for an asset that I've purchased, downloaded, and used.

I'm signed into the same account that I purchased the asset with, and at the top of that asset's page it says "You purchased this item on Nov 3, 2022." yet in the "Reviews" tab it says "Please download this asset to leave a review". I've tried logging out and logging back in and it doesn't fix it.

This appears to be a bug with the Asset Store website? How can I write a review? I want to support the developer of the asset. This bug is harmful to asset store developers, who are prevented from gaining reviews.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    nasos_333, Lord_Eniac and adamgolden like this.
  9. adamgolden

adamgolden

I'm having the same issue. Signing out then back in did not work - still unable to post a review, have same message as above ("please download..") but I have downloaded it and imported to several projects. I only have one account and have only been using one browser for anything store related since the purchase, including the purchase itself (Chrome, Windows 10).

nasos_333, Lord_Eniac and Foreman_Dev like this.
  10. adamgolden

adamgolden

Not only is this harmful to publishers due to loss of reviews, but depending on the nature of this bug maybe it shows "0 downloads" when actually lots of people have downloaded it (if the stats they see are from the same source that's saying we haven't downloaded it). If that's the case, and it's with paid assets and somehow tied in with publishers getting paid for related sales, this could be a significant legal and financial liability for Unity. And how many people actually come to the forum to post that they can't leave a review or that the site is glitchy/broken.

Edit: In other words, the longer this goes unaddressed, the more of a mistake not addressing it sooner could be.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    nasos_333, Lord_Eniac and Foreman_Dev like this.
  11. Lord_Eniac

Lord_Eniac

At least I'm not alone. I'm having this issue, too. Perhaps someone at Unity could comment on what the issue is?

12. Max_Bol

Max_Bol

Yup. Also have this issue. Asset purchased, updated multiple time, downloaded and used in multiple project partially or fully for over an year and the website is locking me from reviewing a product with its "Please download this asset to leave a review." message.

I have noticed that the problem might have been around for a while because MANY assets I would like to review (now that I have extensively used them) only have reviews that are either 4 months old or older (excluding the publisher's reply) and are displaying that the review was from an old version of the assets.

13. vertexx

vertexx

Got this with City Pack 1. Even downloaded it again and still cannot review.
    Contacted Unity a few days ago. No reply yet.

nasos_333 and Foreman_Dev like this.
  14. blake_seow

blake_seow

Hi having the same problem, Seems all assets I purchased recenttly within a few months, I could not review them! This seems to be a bug been around for a while, and it's a very critical problem harm both seller and user! I hope Unity team could look into this asap.

Edit: I just realized this is a post from last year, I can't believe this is not fixed for over a year....

15. vertexx

vertexx

I'm still waiting for a reply from Unity. A day, a month, a year? What do they care? Not important to Unity so it seems.

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have had several reports on this for my assets as well, this is crazy.

Necron99 and Deleted User like this.
  17. PaulMPI

PaulMPI

Foreman_Dev likes this.
  18. Foreman_Dev

Foreman_Dev

19. vertexx

vertexx

Just for your information ( not looking for support!), still no reply or answer from Unity.
    Will keep you all updated on this, and other posters please let us know if things change!
    Be interesting how long this thread lasts!!

Foreman_Dev likes this.
  20. vertexx

vertexx

Guess what? It's all OK for me right now. Just happened! How are you other folk finding it now?

21. adamgolden

adamgolden

I just checked a couple of mine, one still shows "Please download this asset to leave a review" but another now has the Write a Review button available at the top.. something I noticed up there though, when the page is still loading it just says "You purchased this on.." but then after the page loads, the message changes and the Write a Review button appears. There are a bunch of errors in the javascript console, so maybe what's going on is there's an exception somewhere while loading the page (or some code checking if something else has loaded), which somehow results in the code that adds the button/etc. never executing.

vertexx likes this.
  22. Telhurin

Telhurin

Same issue here, some assets have a "Write Review" button some do not, regardless of being actually used or downloaded.

EDIT: what worked for me was opening other assets, until one had a "Write Review" button active. Then I was able to open another tab and write a review of another asset, where previously there was only the label "Please download this asset to leave a review".

vertexx likes this.
  23. Recon03

Recon03

it seems its broken, more people are seeing it in the last few months.. The asset store has always been piss poor.. So not surprised they are having issues.. The importing aspects screws up alot and does not always include everything and throws errors, so you have to delete said asset and reimport.. So, Unity does not do a good job of maintaining there website/asset store and importer, should be rebuilt from the ground up.

24. stellargameassets

stellargameassets

I have the same issue, but was able to resolve it with the following steps:
    1. Go to the page for the asset you wish to review
    2. Click on the "Review" tab (you'll most likely see "Please download this asset to leave a review")
    3. Reload/Refresh the page while the Review tab is active
    4. Now you should see the button to write a review
    I tried this out with several assets and it consistently worked, but ymmv :)

nasos_333 likes this.
  25. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is there any update on this ? Is a very critical issue for various reasons and would be great if someone from Unity side could reply with the current status of a fix for this issue.

26. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Hello, this should be fixed now. However, with the potential for edge cases, please let use know if it persists.

27. adamgolden

adamgolden

I just checked several and it does appear to be working now :)

nasos_333 likes this.
  28. Foreman_Dev

Foreman_Dev

29. RelStrat

RelStrat

This problem is happening to me today so its not fixed.
    And just went into my messages and it asked me to review something I purchased a few days ago, and it gave me the same message. Funny that its asking me to leave a review, then I click the link to do so and it says I have to download it. Annoying!

30. davidmcasas

davidmcasas

Same problem here. I just purchased and downloaded an asset. Already implemented in my project. However can't review it, the store says "Please download this asset to leave a review".

31. adamgolden

adamgolden

Yeah.. I've noticed stuff broken again as well. When I open the page of assets I've reviewed, it usually shows my review on the right side, but right now it doesn't unless I refresh the page. Also if I open Saved For Later assets list, I'm stuck on page 1 (clicking Next or any of the other page numbers doesn't do anything) and clicking X at the right of the bar at the top about the sale doesn't close it.. but Favorites and custom lists are working and the X works on those pages too.

32. nasos_333

nasos_333

There has been a special review backend status change during the spring sale, to avoid the site crashing, as we have been told in the publishers forum.

This was supposed to last little time, but probably they decided to keep for the whole sale, to avoid overload.

So i would expect this go normal after 2ond June or later.

33. adamgolden

adamgolden

Sure enough - as of today all the broken stuff isn't broken anymore. I'm now able to navigate my Saved For Later list again and other minor issues I hadn't mentioned previously are also fixed - like the little red circle on the notifications icon appears again when I have some, the # of items in the cart appears on the cart icon again without having to click it first. The sale info bar at the top of the window (which is green now, instead of the yellow one the previous thing had) also closes now without issue when clicking the X.

nasos_333 likes this.
  34. unity_028AE3B1F1BC5DECE8AD

unity_028AE3B1F1BC5DECE8AD

Nope, still broken. Can't review a single asset. Bug #49483 of unity encountered this year. Personally I don't mind that unity has more bugs than the amazon rain forest and that I spend more time debugging unity than my own projects, but it is unfair for asset developers who can't get reviews because Unity has more glitches than Metal Arms 2: Glitch in the System.

Necron99 likes this.
  35. nasos_333

nasos_333

They have confirmed that during sales the review system is cached or not working fully to make sure the server wont crash

36. unity_028AE3B1F1BC5DECE8AD

Which is ridiculous in 2023 for a huge company like Unity who can pay for more server space, because it's their customers (asset store devs) who are being impacted by this. If simply leaving a review is that heavy and taxing on the server that it can cause the entire system to crash then that's a serious problem.

Most assets are bought during sale, so when we can't leave reviews during the sale because Unity turn them off because they don't want to improve their servers, most people aren't going to come back in two weeks (or forget entirely) and leave the review, which equals less reviews for the asset developers and ultimately less revenue in what is already a tight market.

I complain because I am a fan of Unity, a pro subscriber, and I purchase many assets, and it seems like just another decision by unity that is a big middle finger to it's customer base.

37. Clipzo

Clipzo

I reside in the same city as Unity (Copenhagen), and the notion that their servers would crash due to reviews is quite amusing. I been working with a few teams (10-50 people) on multiple web projects that have over 500,000 concurrent users 24/7, interacting with systems/servers hosted in Copenhagen and accessed globally. I've never encountered such a lame excuse for servers crashing due to such a simplistic feature such as reviews; a form with 2 fields (comment and rating) saved in a database that is solely accessed on their website. I currently have some 5-star reviews pending, alongside a few 2-star reviews. I feel bad for some sellers that will be bombarded with reviews once the sale is over without having a chance to handle all the potential damage, all due to Unity's apparent disregard for their customers

38. alvaromagnum

alvaromagnum

Same problem. Submitted a ticket. They asked me to wait for 2 months so they can answer. OMG.

39. unity_028AE3B1F1BC5DECE8AD

Exactly. It's either 1) a cheap excuse by Unity to not bother fixing the reviews or 2) their servers are so archaic, rundown and held together by tape that the entire system crashes due to a input field being submitted. Either way, it's terrible on unity's part.

Clipzo likes this.
  40. halley

halley

Occam's Razor, and all that. When was the last time you saw a new feature on the forum or store sites? How often do you see easily-detectable spam hit the forum? How often do you see threads by creators and paying customers (like this one) complaining about the store locking various features out, answerable only to a vague phone support queue?

41. Wolvenmoon

Wolvenmoon

Hey. Got the same issue. It's persisted for days, across multiple web browsers.

42. unity_028AE3B1F1BC5DECE8AD

Unfortunately the issue is on unity's end so no browser change will solve it. I also don't think it will be fixed anytime soon (if ever).

43. Foreman_Dev

Foreman_Dev

I'm afraid this won't help either. Unity's support response time is currently estimated to be 2 months. o_O

Screenshot 2023-11-28 105054.png

44. Radivarig

Radivarig

You can click on one of the N star rows and the "Write a Review" button will appear...
    The refresh page method with reviews tab opened didn't work for me.

45. ChocDino

ChocDino

This worked for me! Thanks for your suggestion!

Come on Unity, fix your site guys...

adamgolden likes this.
  46. ChocDino

ChocDino

So was finally able to leave a review, using the method suggested by @Radivarig ... (as previously it said "Please download this asset to leave a review", whhich I had already done).

But the display of the review is also buggy..It shows as:

upload_2023-11-29_18-24-57.png
    It says "this asset has 0 user ratings and 0 user reviews"...but then shows one 5-star review in the bar, but then says "There are no reviews yet, be the first to post one!"...

Bugsville Deluxe!

But if change the drop down menu from "All Stars" to "5 Stars only" then it DOES show the review:
    upload_2023-11-29_18-26-45.png

Please fix these issues Unity @AndrewAssetStore

These bugs are hurting asset creators.

Thanks,

47. adamgolden

adamgolden

@Radivarig thanks - your tip also worked for me!

@ChocDino my review did not show up under "All Reviews" either - until I selected the number of stars that mine was under, then switched it back to All Reviews, after which I could refresh the page and it was there.

Edit: I found another way to make the Write A Review button show is by selecting anything other than "All Stars" from the dropdown on the Reviews tab.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  48. halley

halley

Maybe it's just a coincidence but there seems to be a recurring pattern, where the "Please download this asset to leave a review" bug shows up during each of the store's big sales.

Yes, I have downloaded the asset. It's in three of my projects. Let me write a review to help the asset author!

the_unity_saga likes this.
  49. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

Hey, some of us use Unity almost exclusively for recreation (big kid version of RPG Maker)

So, when we buy your assets, and like them, and maybe want to request one or two features, it'd be nice to be able to consistently leave reviews.

Unity please fix as it leaves me sad.

50. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

That worked!

Radivarig likes this.