Search Unity

Cannot paint over terrain layers?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by LadyAth, Dec 19, 2018.

1. LadyAth

LadyAth

I am using Unity 2018.3 and downloaded the new terrain tools as per the blog. In a new project, I imported a couple of texture packs and https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/landscapes/free-island-collection-104753 to use as a terrain base. Everything imported fine and I noticed that painting the terrain now uses terrain layers.

My problem is that I cannot seem to paint over a layer with an existing (from _TerrainAutoUpgrade) or if I add a new layer. If I try to paint over one of the layers, it makes changes to a greyish shade instead of the new texture. Is it because of the terrain being imported with textures? If I create a brand new terrain it seems to be ok, except if trying to paint with the first texture over a subsequent colour. Then the same grey painting happens.

Attached an image where I tried to paint black over exiting terrain layers to show what happens.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  2. LadyAth

LadyAth

This is beginning to look like I will have to delete all the imported terrain textures and paint from scratch. After more testing, I created a brand new project without the the new terrain tools (base 2018.3) and imported the free island pack again. The imported textures convert to terrain layers, but if I try paint over anything with one of the existing layers, the above problem occurs. I also get "Graphics.CopyTexture called with mismatching mip counts (src 12 dst 1) UnityEngine.GUIUtility: ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)" in the console. If I create a brand new layer I can paint. If I replace an existing, I cannot. If I delete all the terrain layers and start fresh, I can paint.

Is this going to be an issue for any older terrain assets being imported?

3. Danua

Danua

that's because only 8 textures support by terrain for now. Reduce texture count

guischaeffer likes this.
  4. LadyAth

LadyAth

* facepalms *
    Thank you :)

5. elettrozero

elettrozero

I tried everything, I can only set the base layer. Any other layer is not painted.

6. pavel98volk

pavel98volk

Same issue here. Each time I try to paint on a base layer I get:
    OPENGL: Graphics.CopyTexture called on textures of different sizes?
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

OPENGL: Graphics.CopyTexture called on textures with different mip count (10 vs 9)?UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

P.S. When I do the same actions in an empty project it does work, perfectly. However, I still can't figure out what could I break in the original project to get above mistakes.

7. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Are you on Mac? And, regardless of platform, is the new project not using OpenGL?

8. elettrozero

elettrozero

The solution (for some reasons) is to set, in quality settings, Texture Quality to full res

9. sylon

sylon

I was having a hard time figuring out why i couldn't paint my terrain.
    elettrozero's solution worked for me.
    Thanks!

10. Radiago

Radiago

Wow. This was a lifesaver for me. Thank you. Had the same problem, this fixed it for me. This should be in a FAQ or something.

11. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

12. oakesn

oakesn

elettrozero's solution worked for me.

13. itdikey

itdikey

elettrozero's solution saved me

14. anilcan123

anilcan123

elettrozero thank you so much problem solved