Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 beta is now available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for insight from anyone who has experience with game testing to help us better Unity. Take our survey here. If chosen to participate you'll be entered into a sweepstake to win an Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. On February 28th the Feedback website will shut down and be redirected to the Unity forums. See the full post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot paint over terrain layers?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by LadyAth, Dec 19, 2018.

1. LadyAth

LadyAth

I am using Unity 2018.3 and downloaded the new terrain tools as per the blog. In a new project, I imported a couple of texture packs and https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/landscapes/free-island-collection-104753 to use as a terrain base. Everything imported fine and I noticed that painting the terrain now uses terrain layers.

My problem is that I cannot seem to paint over a layer with an existing (from _TerrainAutoUpgrade) or if I add a new layer. If I try to paint over one of the layers, it makes changes to a greyish shade instead of the new texture. Is it because of the terrain being imported with textures? If I create a brand new terrain it seems to be ok, except if trying to paint with the first texture over a subsequent colour. Then the same grey painting happens.

Attached an image where I tried to paint black over exiting terrain layers to show what happens.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  2. LadyAth

LadyAth

This is beginning to look like I will have to delete all the imported terrain textures and paint from scratch. After more testing, I created a brand new project without the the new terrain tools (base 2018.3) and imported the free island pack again. The imported textures convert to terrain layers, but if I try paint over anything with one of the existing layers, the above problem occurs. I also get "Graphics.CopyTexture called with mismatching mip counts (src 12 dst 1) UnityEngine.GUIUtility: ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)" in the console. If I create a brand new layer I can paint. If I replace an existing, I cannot. If I delete all the terrain layers and start fresh, I can paint.

Is this going to be an issue for any older terrain assets being imported?

3. Danua

Danua

that's because only 8 textures support by terrain for now. Reduce texture count

4. LadyAth

LadyAth

* facepalms *
    Thank you :)

5. elettrozero

elettrozero

I tried everything, I can only set the base layer. Any other layer is not painted.

6. pavel98volk

pavel98volk

Same issue here. Each time I try to paint on a base layer I get:
    OPENGL: Graphics.CopyTexture called on textures of different sizes?
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

OPENGL: Graphics.CopyTexture called on textures with different mip count (10 vs 9)?UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

P.S. When I do the same actions in an empty project it does work, perfectly. However, I still can't figure out what could I break in the original project to get above mistakes.

7. wyatttt

wyatttt

Unity Technologies

Are you on Mac? And, regardless of platform, is the new project not using OpenGL?

8. elettrozero

elettrozero

The solution (for some reasons) is to set, in quality settings, Texture Quality to full res