Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot open VS 2017 scripts within the editor

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by EASYJABBA, May 29, 2019.

1. EASYJABBA

EASYJABBA

Cannot believe we have been pushed to the alpha version as this is the only version that works with a CPU with 20 cores or more.

The first bug we noticed was you cannot double click on any script within the editor which is a shame, using the VS2017 Pro version.

Also saw many errors in the Event Viewer regarding COMIntegration.exe, I'm sure this is tied to opening the scripts.

We would very much like to be involved in testing out the 2019 versions as we can only work with this version.

Hopefully this shouldn't be to much of a nightmare.

Thankyou for your time and hope to speak soon.

Fewpwew130 likes this.
  2. EASYJABBA

EASYJABBA

Update here.

On the 2018LTS version when you open any script in the editor VS opens the correct script first time no problem.

I tried to send a bug report but upon clicking 'Send' it stated 'Connection Refused'? So I'll write the bug report here for the V3Alpha.

1. What happened

When you open a C# script in the editor it only opens VS2017 Pro with a blank page, you then have to go back to Unity and doubleclick on the C# script again for VS to open it?

2. How we can reproduce it using the example you attached

Just open any script from the editor with VS2017 Pro and you will see that VS2017 doesn't open the script until you doubleclick the script again.
    If you have many scripts saved in VS then it will load the wrong one up until you manually select it. This is not good as when you click on a script it should loadup 1st time, because I edited the wrong ones until I noticed it wasn't loading the correct one first time.

Thankyou for your time and hope to speak soon.

Kerber996 likes this.
  3. EASYJABBA

EASYJABBA

Update here.

Just download the V4 Alpha and its still the same, VS wont load the script within the editor.

Please fix this Unity.

4. Fewpwew130

Fewpwew130

After using 2019.4 LTS and Visual Studio Community 2017 for quite some time, today I decided to try Unity 2020.1.0. This was a mistake. After upgrading the project, it didn't allow to seamlessly open in by double clicking on a script file - COMIntegration.exe error and Visual Studio instant crash. However, a partial workaround was to go to the Unity menu bar:

1. In Unity, do Edit -> Preferences.
    2. In the Preferences window that opened, choose the External Tools tab.
    3. Click on the External Script Editor dropdown.
    4. Here it was chosen Visual Studio 2017.
    5. Instead a change to open By File extension partly solved the problem.

Partially, because VS seems to be disconnected from the Unity's 'libraries', thus it has no code autofill enabled. If someone knows how to fix that, it would be great :)

5. yzhqzl

yzhqzl

I also encountered this "COMIntegration.exe Stopped working
    "The problem, there are two versions of unity installed on my computer, one is 2018.3.9, the other is 2020.1.1, there is no problem with the 2018 version, the problem of double-clicking the script can not open vs2017 in 2020, my solution is : 1. Change to open by file extension (but there will be no code completion when opening vs2017 in this way) 2. After opening the project, open the file with the suffix ".sln" in the unity project you created, so that you are in unity Not only can you double-click to open the script, but you can also enjoy code completion. This can basically solve the problem.

Lynxesss likes this.
  6. ThijmenF

ThijmenF

There is a solution!!! My father and i have a problem with that, the name of the project was: Pokémon Catch! Visual studio won't open, but i changed the name to PokemonCatch. What you think: the name depent on the visual studio opener!

Greetings ThijmenF