Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot open or create a project...

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by Django, May 8, 2018.

1. Django

Django

Hi all,

there is no way for me to do a bug report because I cannot get to the bug reporter in Unity 2018. Since installing Unity 2018 (currently on 2018.2b) Whenever I create a new project or try to load one from 2017, Unity starts importing things showing the progress bar. When it is done, it just stops responding, the CPU rises up to 100% and the interface/project never appears, so essentially it is impossible to open anything anymore in this version.

I am on 10.11.6 on an old Mac Pro 2006. Unity 2017.4 works really well though, so I wonder what changed in 2018 to make it incompatible.

Is it something that could be fixed or I will I need to find another use for this computer? It is still in great working condition so I was hoping to use it with Unity 2018.

Thanks!

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi Django,
    Your hardware shouldn't be a problem: https://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements

You can open the bug reporter from outside Unity. Its executable is located next to the Unity executable in the install directory. Could you please submit a bug report for this issue and reply in here with the case #?

3. Django

Django

Thanks for your reply LeonhardP!!

I used the bug reporter and the case # number is
    (Case 1035380). Please let me know if you need any more information.

LeonhardP likes this.
  4. Django

Django

I have been working with someone at Unity to replicate the issue but after many efforts, no luck. I have actually been using this computer since Unity 2.6 up until the latest update of Unity 2017 with no problems. It must be hardware related so I will have to buy a new computer down the road.

For those who were using a Mac Pro 2006 1.1 with Unity, the 2018 version will not work on it and the last compatible version is 2017. It is funny because my 2008 macbook pro (laptop) still runs 2018 even if the computer is much slower than the desktop mac pro 2006.