Search Unity

Cannot log into Unity Answers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greganator1, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Greganator1

Greganator1

Hi All for some strange reason I cannot log into unity Answers, I have logged out of everything cleared my browser cache, but every time I go to the answers page and click log in, it takes me to my account page, and if I go back the the Answers page I'm still logged out! Has anyone experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Ony

Ony

Are you using the new Firefox 7.0 update? There's been a ton of issues with it like the ones you mentioned.

Greganator1 likes this.
  3. Greganator1

Greganator1

No Im currently Using Brave, but the issues could be similar, Ill try another browser and see if it works

Ony likes this.
  4. Greganator1

Greganator1

Hmm Switched to Chrome and the Issue is the Same.

5. Antypodish

Antypodish

In fact, that is for the better.
    Just ignore Unity answers. Is more-less abandoned.

If you have questions, ask here on the forum, if you can not find already related topic.

Joe-Censored and vakabaka like this.
  6. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

You can easily check and see that Answers is pretty active. The button for it is right on top of this page. You'll be seeing the main area. To see the other area, HelpRoom, select it from the Spaces dropdown. At first it will look like no one ever answers Qs, but that's only because there are so many only a few hours old. Go back and you'll see more answers. Plus there can be Comments, which don't have their counts on the main listing.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, you will see more answers, but compare that to the forums and you will see the ratio of answers to questions is much higher here. I went back thirty pages on Unity Answers and at most the response rate appears to be one answer for every two to three questions. That's just awful compared to even the worst sections of the forum.

8. Antypodish

Antypodish

@Owen-Reynolds as far my memory don't fails me, I remember some time ago similar discussion. Thing is which was apparent, many forum users don't have time to split between forum and answers.

Leaving unity answers quality questionable.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  9. Murgilod

Murgilod

And if you look further, you'll notice that it's usually the same three to five people answering questions.

And if you look further still, you'll notice that the code samples in a lot of answers from even just a couple years ago were totally destroyed by the layout update from a while back.

And, finally, if you look further still, you'll find that the traffic on the forum is far higher than it is on Answers by a considerable margin, even leaving out General Discussion.

Yes, people use Unity Answers, but it's not really active even compared to another section of the site.

Joe-Censored, Ryiah and vakabaka like this.
  10. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

Way back, I always had to log into Answers twice in a row. It was a similar odd thing -- begin taken to some other page after the 1st attempt. Forum login was equally hinky, back then.

As far as wanting the OP to move over to Forums, if you want that, simply make your case. Don't say clearly false things like "UA is more-or-less abandoned" or "it's mostly the same 3 to 5 people" or "the code samples were totally destroyed by a formatting bug". Maybe ask if they want to ask a Q, or answer beginner Q's, or have been using UA and just now can't get in.

11. Murgilod

Murgilod

This is literally why I stopped using Answers but go off I guess.

12. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

But there's no problem with code formatting in UA. There was and is an unfixable screw-up in formatting: inline code has an extra space in front, and blank lines between paragraphs are gone. That turns some older answers into a wall of text. But code is fine. You can easily check that.

And that's partly cancelled since UA is a better format for answers. Take a thread here with 20 replies. In UA that would be 3 answers, the top-voted one on top, and 17 nested comments.

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, in theory it is like that, but in practice it's almost always one or no answers with no comments because there aren't enough people using the system to support it to the degree that it could be effective. Whereas the thread may not have ideal formatting or any ways of indicating the answer but at least it has answers and comments on the answers.

By the way XenForo has extensions that allow you to configure a forum to function as a Q&A system. Implementing Unity Answers with one of them would have been far more valuable because at least then we'd have an existing community to draw from whereas with UA we're stuck hoping that some people will want to pick up an entirely new system.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/n-best-answer-q-a-system.4288/

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019