Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Cannot get the effects to work

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by treese_, Nov 29, 2019.

1. treese_

treese_

I've been trying to make a title screen for my game, and I wanted to display it's title with glowing text. I found out that TMP can do such a thing, so I downloaded it. I then followed a video step by step, making a font atlas, and enabling the glow effect. For some reason though, it just doesn't work.

Of note, when I created the first TMP asset, it didn't bring up the "import TMP essentials" menu, which is the only discrepancy between my attempt and the video. Could that be the cause? And if so, how can I import them in.

I'm using unity 5.6.1 btw.

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Visual FX like Glow are only possible when using Signed Distance Field (SDF) modes.

You need to make sure you are using the full Distance Field shader on the material / font asset.

The TMP Essential Resources is something that was introduced with the Package Manager version of TextMesh Pro which became available with Unity 2018.x or newer.

In Unity 5.6, you are using the legacy version of TextMesh Pro from the Asset Store, visual FX like glow is available in those versions.

Take a look at the example scene with the Surface Shader that should be included in the Asset Store version of TMP.