Search Unity

Cannot get older versions

Discussion in 'Linux' started by zerouchiha072, Mar 12, 2020.

1. zerouchiha072

zerouchiha072

I recently factory reset my laptop, running ubuntu 18.04. I have my project backed up on the cloud, but I cannot get the same version that I used to have, 2019.3.0f6. Does anyone know how to get an older version of Unity on Linux?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's a pity but there is no apparent way to do that...

3. zerouchiha072

zerouchiha072

I have the version I need on another computer running windows. Is there any chance I can copy it onto a USB and try to download it into my laptop from the USB?

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

A Windows version of Unity won't work under Linux...

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Good news, you can download it directly by going to the Download Archive page: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

Locate 2019.3.0f6, and click on the Unity Hub green button. It will open the Hub and install the editor. :)

It seems to be THE way to install older versions of Unity, whatever your platform. :)

Peppapigpower and rkd974 like this.
  6. McDirty

McDirty

@APSchmidt Your above-mentioned solution of going to the archives, and downloading from the "Unity Hub" button merely launches the Unity Hub app but doesn't do anything further. So I'm stuck.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, I know that the link I posted goes to the archives.

It works but you must try several times clicking on the green Unity Hub button. It worked the second time I did it.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

I must insist: it might take more than two times clicking on the green Unity Hub button before the Hub installs the editor. I'm having a hard time trying to install Unity 5.6.7f1.

9. Ankean

Ankean

I wonder how my computer would know how to find the software that the link points to? Unity Hub runs as an applmage on Linux systems, so I basically dropped it into whatever folder I felt I could find it in... I don't think even my computer knows what it's got going on in there. I don't know how many times I'll have to click there to make anything happen. Maybe I need to copy and edit the link's address...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  10. Ankean

Ankean

For my desired version, the address looks like this:
    " unityhub://2017.4.28f1/e3a0f7dd2097 "

So if I could just figure out the proper formatting for the link to send it down the correct file directory path to wake up Unity Hub, that might do it.

In Unity Hub, under Installs, I can click on 'Locate', and it calls forth the typical file system navigation window. I do not know how or if I can access web addresses from here. It would be nice if I could download the file directly into my computer somewhere.

Or maybe I just need to drop the Unity Hub AppImage somewhere where the browser can find it. Is Unity Hub a browser plugin?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  11. MidgardDev

MidgardDev

Hey, I had the same issue, it's actually pretty simple to solve.

Open a new terminal in the folder where UnityHub.AppImage is located (right click -> open terminal), then write:

"./UnityHub.AppImage unityhub://2017.4.28f1/e3a0f7dd2097"

Then hit enter. Tadaa! UnityHub will now open and in an instant, show you the Unity 2017.4.28f1 install window.

Have a nice day!

12. Ankean

Ankean

Holy Hotdog, it seems to be working! Thank you so much!

P.S., For anyone unfamiliar, it's AppImage, as in 'App Image', not Applmage, as in 'Apple mage'. Fonts that make 'I' and 'l' indistinguishable are super suboptimal. Linux can tell the difference, and it's very picky.

unity_StHvQo7Mo2RzUw likes this.
  13. Somamint

Somamint

Could somebody help me to find the correct address for Unity 2017.3.1?

If i click on the greenhub, unity opens but now install window will open in this version.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  14. programmernic

programmernic

MidgardDev, tanks a lot! Worked fine and saved my day.

Somamint, it's "unityhub://2017.3.1f1/fc1d3344e6ea"
    So pasting "./UnityHub.AppImage unityhub://2017.3.1f1/fc1d3344e6ea" in your terminal as MidgardDev stated should do the thing. You can just right click on the green Unity Hub button and save the adress to do this.

15. Peppapigpower

Peppapigpower

Thanks so much

16. Gargan26

Gargan26

Heads up for anyone trying this on Arch Linux. After installing the unity hub from AUR, the proper command is
    unityhub <unityhub link>

For instance, if you'd like to install the 2017.4.39 version the command is:
    unityhub unityhub://2017.4.39f1/947131c5be7e

17. Night952006

Night952006

Did you found out a way to install 5.6.7f1

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

19. Airmouse

Airmouse

I try clicking the green Unity Hub link 15 times but Unity Hub is blank after opening and shows only No Unity Version.

I tried Brave, Chrome, Firefox,