Search Unity

Cannot get Generic type animations to play

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Groggsy, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Groggsy

Groggsy

Hi everyone,

I am using Unity 5.4.2 and have trouble getting a non humanoid skinned model to play in Unity using the Generic animation type.

I even made a test model in 3ds Max of just a cylinder and rigged/skinned it with 3 bones, and did a test animation but it doesn't work either. I must be doing something wrong obviously.

Both the test and my original model can play their animations in the preview window but nothing is happening in the scene or game view. They also work with Legacy but the client I am doing the job for wants me to use Generic.

I have been searching for hours for a walkthrough or a guide to getting a animated model from 3ds max into Unity and playing using the Generic animation type but found nothing. I keep thinking maybe its to do with the bones like the naming convention or hierarchy but not found anything related to that at all. It should be a very straight forward process - you would think.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Mike

2. Groggsy

Groggsy

Solved it.

Had to create an animation controller first, assign the animation clip to it and then add it to the models animation component.
    Seems a bit of a long winded way of doing it. Legacy is just a case of export, bosh - done.