Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

"Cannot get diff between revisions" Collab error

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by NoctisFatehart, Oct 16, 2016.

1. NoctisFatehart

NoctisFatehart

Hello! Recently I started using Unity Collab with a friend of mine to start sharing our project to work together! However, after my friend uploaded the project files using collab and I attempted to download them for myself I keep getting this error any time I try to update the changes.

Is there any way to fix this issue, or am I just too blind to see an easy solution? Thank you for any assistance!

2. bradunity

bradunity

Hey @mhhj, sorry to hear about the troubles. This one's stumping me a bit. Looking at the service logs on our side, I definitely see the errors for your project. For some reason, your editor thinks it needs to get a list of changes between the latest and revision 32bdb4c133102e99a332291b9697d1408c3fb546. That revision, however, does not appear in your project's commit history, so I'm confused as to how the editor got into this state. To learn more, it'd be ideal if you could report a bug from inside the editor after you see that red error (Help => Report a Bug) and then let us know what bug ID was assigned (it'll copy up the editor logs and collab snapshot info for us to inspect).

Regarding a work around, if you haven't made any changes locally, you might try removing the project and redownloading it from the "Cloud" list of projects.

3. NoctisFatehart

NoctisFatehart

Hello @bradunity, thanks for responding to me! I submitted a bug report and it just finished uploading, the bug ID is what's in the email subject, correct? I've not had to submit a bug report before so I just want to make sure? Or is it the link provided with the email here?

This is the Case ID I received in the email subject.

=?utf-8?Q?(Case 842677)

Hopefully this is what I needed! Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016
  4. bradunity

bradunity

@mhhj Normally, the case number is plenty. Thanks for submitting that.

We're trying to understand the sequence that led to this. Could you help us with a little more detail on the steps you took? It sounds like your partner had already made changes and submitted them to the cloud. How did you download them? Was it by just selecting your partner's project from the "In The Cloud" project list in first dialog that's shown when you start Unity? Or, did you try going through the process of re-linking an existing project to this one?

I also see that this project might be hosted on a Google Drive location. Is it possible that it was already committed (by you or someone else) to another Cloud project in the Collab service?

You can try the following workaround to possibly get out of this situation, but be sure to make a full backup of your project, first. Ideally, this would be done with no outstanding changes to the project (especially files or folders that have been renamed). To try this, stop Unity and then rename (or move) CollabSnapshot_683ec429-ca01-4fdb-8b41-26db954f3cc6.txt found in the project's Library/Collab folder. When you start Unity again, it should resynchronize with the service and I would expect that you should be able to get the latest changes from the service.

5. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

@mhhj for security reasons I've removed your fogbugz link :)
    Try to keep that link private. It has a direct link to your project folder.

6. NoctisFatehart

NoctisFatehart

@holliebuckets s
    Oh thank you, I hadn't realized that! I appreciate it!

@bradunity
    Hmm, we both had an instance of shared files on Google Drive before using collab that we use to access the project at different times. When we first started using Collab, I uploaded the project to the Cloud originally on my end and it seemed to work fine, however on my partner's side it seemed like they couldn't download what I uploaded but could only upload what they had even though we used the same project as well(This was after I had already uploaded and closed the project). They uploaded on their end too, which might have caused further trouble I assumed at the time.

The "In the Cloud" option gives an error when trying to create the folder, so neither or us had used it since we cannot download/create a folder using what is already on the Cloud for some reason. I assumed it had something to do with the current error. I noticed there looked to be two projects uploaded on the Cloud page when i checked but my partner had told me one was a backup? Is that not the case? In any case, I hope this information helps!

I'll try the workaround now, thanks for your help!

Edit: Tried the workaround, the error is gone! However, I didn't get a prompt to download the changes my friend had made, just that I was up to date and that I could upload any changes I had on my end. For the time being, it seems like it has worked, but I'll have my partner check on their end to ensure that anything I publish goes through to them.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    holliebuckets likes this.
  7. bradunity

bradunity

@mhhj Regarding the "error when trying to create the folder," that sounds like a bug to me, but difficult to say without a set of steps to try reproducing the problem. I'll see if I can try the same steps you took, which I think are the following:
    1. user A create new project A
    2. user A publishes to collab service under project A
    3. user A shares source via google drive w/ user B
    4. user B creates new project B
    5. user B publishes source to new project B
    6. user A links project A to project B (...not sure how you did this part, unless you used the "New Link..." option in the services tab?)
    7. user A unable to update latest changes made to project B from user B
    Also am curious if things are working ok, now, after the workaround?

8. NoctisFatehart

NoctisFatehart

@bradunity

Yes, after the workaround it seems like everything is working fine! My partner is able to get my own updates and I'm able to get their updates without issue! Thanks for the help!

As for the steps, those were the steps we took almost exactly! For step 6, I believe I linked the project with the new link option in that tab. I don't actually recall since I had did a lot to try to get things working. However, I do remember linking the project myself and using the services tab to reach the Cloud pages and the like.

9. bradunity

bradunity

Sounds good, @mhhj, glad to hear you're not blocked on this any more. Thank you for confirming the steps. We'll get to work on finding out the root cause and fixing it on our end.

10. NoctisFatehart

NoctisFatehart

Thanks for all your help, @bradunity ! I appreciate it!