Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot Get Anything To Load On Any Facebook-Hosted WebGL Builds

Discussion in 'Web' started by GarrettCMiller, Nov 12, 2017.

1. GarrettCMiller

GarrettCMiller

I have been trying for almost a week to get something, anything, to load on my Facebook Apps hosted page. I have followed both tutorials (Facebook's and Unity's, as best can be for how old and sparse much of the information seems to be) and have all of the settings set as described by both tutorials.

I initially had difficulty with a certain UnityLinker.exe error until I started running Unity in Administrator mode (running on Win7 64 Pro). Then I could actually get Unity to successfully build a Facebook build (set to WebGL instead of Gameroom). I can perform the Run & Build command and get the builds to run on a local server, but anything I upload to FB doesn't load. I just get the FB header and sidebar. I upload via the developer dashboard (because I cannot upload via Unity currently) and set the build to Production.

I have created 2 different "Apps" (and therefore, separate pages and settings) just to be sure. As far as on the Unity side of things, I initially started with my actual game that I intend to publish, but after some difficulty, tried a brand new, empty Unity project just to eliminate as many variables as possible -- no packages imported, nothing. Just a blank default scene. Still, nothing. I have tried now 3 new, empty Unity projects, starting with Unity 2017.2.0f3 (the latest as of now).

The latest iteration was with Unity 2017.1.2f1 (because I read in some threads that some people had luck with 2017.1 but not with 2017.2) and still absolutely nothing. I have also tried 2 new, blank projects but also importing Facebook's latest FB Unity SDK release and loading the example scenes into the build list and, again, I can get the local server build to run just fine (via Build & Run), but nothing on FB.

I am losing precious dev time trying to figure this out but I feel it's for a very beneficial reason should I actually get it. The ability for people to play and share your game right on FB is an incredible step in indie game development and is so exciting! But I am losing my mind! :confused:o_O

P.S. Has anyone else noticed that every time they perform a Facebook WebGL build, the final 7z gets larger by roughly double? It took me several builds on several projects before I noticed that the final MB size on every project built into the 7z would increase by what seemed like double (maybe?), even when I made absolutely NO changes between builds. Kind of like the 7z output is writing to the archive in an append mode rather than an overwrite mode?

2. GarrettCMiller

GarrettCMiller

3. jura_z

jura_z

Unity Technologies

We're looking at this currently with Facebook team. Sorry for inconvenience

4. nfmelendez

nfmelendez

this is still happening in 2017.2.0p4

5. Brathnann

Brathnann

In your browser, when you try to load your game, hit f12 on your keyboard or open the developer tools in the menu for the Console. There you can see if you get any errors or anything going on at all when the game tries to load.

We have a game on Facebook hosting that works fine and just did a new release of a game that is working fine as well. Facebook hosting with webGL actually has worked really well for us.