Search Unity

1. The 2022.1 beta is now available for testing. To find out what's new, have a look at our 2022.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot get 100% mirror-like reflection from HDRP Lit shader

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by moranBoar, Oct 6, 2021.

1. moranBoar

moranBoar

I'm playing with the HDRP Lit shader, but I find that I cannot get a perfect clear reflection image on a totally smooth plane. Even though I set the smoothness to 1, metallic to 1, the reflected image is not that clear(I thought it can be as clear as background).

Screenshot is below:
    upload_2021-10-6_17-39-31.png

I set up a simple project with only an hdri sky and a little plank. Make the smoothness and metallic to 1. The reflected image on the surface is quite similar to a oil painting(full of tiny color chunks and the lines are jagged) while I thought it would be as clear as a mirror. You could focus on the fence edges, floor brick edges and the leaves in the screenshot above.

Is there any other settings I should tweak? Or it's normal that I cannot get a perfect mirror-like reflection on a totally smooth surface.

What I have considered:
    1. Compression. I set compression of the hdri file to "none"
    2. Post-processing. I only add four overrides: "Visual Environment", "HDRI Sky", "Fog", "Tonemapping". Adding "Fog" is to make sure that fog is disabled. So there is no post-processing blurring my final frame.
    Thanks for any suggestions and discussion. :)

2. lilacsky824

lilacsky824

Seems you set lower resolution of sky reflection in HDRP asset.
    Try to use higher resolution and see it works? o_O
    未命名.jpg

3. moranBoar

moranBoar

Thanks for your reply! I tried this setting, but it seems that "Reflection Size" cannot solve this problem.

unityunity