Search Unity

Bug Cannot create a new repo for a duplicated project

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by RemDust, Mar 18, 2023.

1. RemDust

RemDust

Hello guys !
    I'm stuck in a very tricky situation.

I created a repo for my ongoing project and for some reason we messed it up :cool:

I duplicated the whole Unity project and I want to create a brand new repo and workspace for it but when I try to do so an error pops up telling me that the Workspace (with the name of the old screwed up one) already exists...

How can I clean my Unity project from any trace of the old workspace/repo ?
    Why this duplicate project folder is still linked to an old workspace ?
    What files do I need to delete inside of the project folder to clear it ?

I just need a fresh start ^^

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  2. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi,

If you delete the ".plastic" folder in the root of the workspace, you will unlink this folder from Plastic.
    Then you can create a new workspace and a new repository if this is what you need.

Please let us know if it helps.

Regards,
    Carlos.

3. RemDust

RemDust

I finally found a HIDDEN .plastic at the root of my Unity yesterday...
    How on earth would anyone think of this settings being not visible in the Finder ???

A lot of hours of trial and error to track down this thing, not a very pleasant experience so far ^^

4. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

The ".plastic" folder includes the metadata of the workspace. It's not part of the project (even when it's created at the root of it). That's why it's hidden by default.
    It also may help to avoid deleting it by mistake when cleaning the project.

5. RemDust

RemDust

I do see your point :)
    ...but it's a nightmare to track down. The link between your repo on the plastic app and the project is a real ghost right now, I tried to delete it in any possible way. I reached for help by a guy who uses it a lot, and even he wasn't able to understand.

Also, there are multiple settings files, .asset files in the project, including one called "VersionControl.asset", if the old VersionControl settings are at this place AND VISIBLE, I don't see any reason for the recent plastic one to be the single asset at the root, and HIDDEN.

I literally ended up deleting every folder in my project, one by one with the plastic telling me there was STILL a workspace existing for this project, until there was NOTHING left in the project folder to understand that there was one single hidden gremlin in there! xD

6. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

The standard way to unlink a project from Plastic is in the Plastic GUI -- > Workspaces list --> Delete workspace.
    I mean even the existence of this ".plastic" folder is transparent for most of the users.

Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience.