Search Unity

Cannot control Unity

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by boatingglintz, Mar 16, 2015.

1. boatingglintz

boatingglintz

I am having problems adapting to the usage of Unity, me and my friend are hoping to produce a Command & Conquer styled game but it is not possible without learning how to control Unity, please someone help me figure out how to use Unity efficiently. Even a link to a website which teaches you to produce something like this will be much apprieciated.

2. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

This guy is where you should start.

http://unity3d.com/learn

The journey is long and hard. But well worth it. Good luck!

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  3. boatingglintz

boatingglintz

Ahh, okay still seems complicated even though it is a ball rolling around and collecting cubes. I feel like I'll never get the hang of this especially a well coded, well designed stratergy game.

4. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Quill18creates is a great youtube channel if you want to watch tutorials. I linked episode 1 of his path finding video that you may be interested in since you want to make an RTS. Learning good pathfinding practices will allow you to have more units thinking in your scene.

5. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Check out my description. It took me a little over a year to get there.

It's a tough road. Tuck away the command and conquer for a bit. Dive in with something easy to wrap your head around. Pong is a frequently given example.

6. N1warhead

N1warhead

It also really helps if you were brought up around programming, like when I came to Unity I had no idea what I was doing, I was like uhh what, this is definitely different than anything I've done before.

Well, I did one of the learn section games (the Spaceship shooting Asteroids) game they teach you to make, after that, I sat around for months just messing with things, now I have a strong grasp on pretty much everything that you can do in Unity, the hardest part for me now is just trying to figure out how to implement things, not so much doing it.

It's one of them things that you know what you want to do, exactly how you want to do it, but until you know how to actually implement it the way you want it done, it's a rough road.

Like you may get something you want to work, but not behave the way you want, that's where learning how to implement things really helps, because yeah I can make something work, but lets say I tell my guy to shoot, but he won't stop shooting, I did what I wanted, but I didn't implement it to behave correctly to stop shooting.

So learning the learn section and really try to understand, you will learn what Unity can do, as well as how to implement things correctly.

By the way - an RTS Is one of the hardest kind of games to make, so I'd really recommend waiting to make that kind of game. But it's up to you, I find going for the harder things helps me learn better.
    But that's because I was brought up around going for things to hard for me, that's how I learn best for my self.

Well anyways, good luck with your endeavors buddy.

Ryiah likes this.
  7. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Is this a note anywhere on the site or tutorial forums? MMOs and RTS are bad starting projects lol.

Kiwasi likes this.
  8. N1warhead

N1warhead

LOL it is what it is haha.

9. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

It might be worth you looking at the credits list for the original C&C. Count how many unique names are in the list, and consider that pretty much all of them were professionals who had made an RTS game before (Dune II) and took about 2 years to make C&C.

(If you think that making games has changed in the 20 years (!!!!) since C&C was released, you're right - see the credits for C&C4, released in 2010, if you want something more recent).

It's totally possible to create what you want to create, but it's important to have perspective on it. Work your way up to it, and make sure the things you create along the way are things you can take pride in for themselves, rather than just being a means to an end. For now, make the best damn ball-rolling-around-and-collecting-cubes game that you can :)

Ryiah and N1warhead like this.
  10. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

You may laugh now, but there will come a day when someone comes to these forums and wants to make a realtime simulation of the world as an RTS MMO with each living thing (human or otherwise) running their own neural networks for ai and have it work on mobile.

@superpig UT has spoiled this industry. Imagine how much further we could push our games if everyone was still coding in assembly! lol

11. boatingglintz

boatingglintz

Okay so I will try to make the ball game, mess around with it, maybe actually have sprites later on and keep working my way up.

superpig and NomadKing like this.
  12. boatingglintz

boatingglintz

Oh and thanks for the support and quick responses, this will prove to be useful.

NomadKing likes this.
  13. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The note you are looking for is plastered all over the Game Design thread. Have a gander when you want to take a break from learning the basics. Good luck!

14. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Pshh, I'm about to get my degree in IT with a specialization in game design and I've been using unity since early 4.x!

I'm very slowly migrating from the general discussion forums to the game design forums for my entertainment ;)

theANMATOR2b likes this.