Search Unity

Cannot alter script execution order?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Heckmouse, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Heckmouse

Heckmouse

I'm following a tutorial and everything works as expected, except in my scene I cannot edit the script execution order. I cannot drag scripts into any part of the inspector and the + icon is greyed out/does not do anything.

Any ideas?

2. wizardious

wizardious

Hey Muckymouse
    Some additional information would be helpful for people to help you with your problem.
    An in Unity screenshot is always helpful, so people can see what your seeing. Also what tutorial, and scripts you are using, would also make things clearer. Vague question usually result in no answers.
    Hope this will help you get an answer to your problem.:)

3. Heckmouse

Heckmouse

Hey wizardious, thanks for the input.
    Here is a screenshot https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ebdq6qdnv9ombw/Screenshot 2014-12-29 16.48.30.png?dl=0

On the upper right hand side you see the inspector; normally I can hit the + icon (below the words 'Default Time') and add scripts so that I can re-arrange their execution order. This does not work.

The disturbing part is that when I open the same project on another computer (shared via dropbox) everything works fine. On the working computer, I altered the execution order of the scripts and then saved the file. After dropbox synced the files I've come back to my laptop (where execution order doesn't work) and the execution order changes are gone. It now just says 'default time' and my changes appear to have been lost.

I tried many things, re-installing unity on both machines and running the 'Reimport All' function within Unity, but nothing is solving the problem.

4. wizardious

wizardious

Hey Mm
    Ya, that's a real head scratcher. I really am not sure what the problem could be, but now that you've explained the problem clearly, you might get lucky, and someone who views this thread might know a solution. Seems to me the problem is not with Unity, but the operating environment,(your computer).
    Best of luck.

5. blackstaffgames

blackstaffgames

I'm having this exact issue almost a year later. It seems to be project specific. Script Executions Order is greyed out and cannot add anything.

6. JoRouss

JoRouss

I have this issue too.... has anyone find a solution??

7. wwenthin

wwenthin

I guess I'll add a Me too. Other project work fine but of course the one I'm closest to finishing has this problem.

8. paternostrox

paternostrox

Having this issue in 2018.3.6f1.

In my case the plus icon is not grayed out, but my own scripts won't appear in the selection the icon shows. Also I cannot drag my scripts into the inspector, making it impossible to change the execution order of scripts by the editor.

9. paternostrox

paternostrox

Ok this is rather dumb.

If anyone experiences this issue in the future, check for compile errors in your console, Unity won't let you change execution order if you have errors, that was my case.

I also would like to leave the suggestion for Unity to thrown an exception when a script is dragged to the script execution order inspector while there are errors. This kind of feedback is important and can save the user's time.