Search Unity

Canadian taxes worldwide

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by blattie, May 13, 2015.

1. blattie

blattie

*** I have been redirected here from the Unity forum.

Hello, I am a Canadian Game Developer founded in Quebec as a non-incorporated S.E.N.C. (G.P.). We are about to release our first game on both Apple Store and Google Play and we absolutely have no idea about certain things concerning taxes (VAT, GST, QST, etc.).

So far, we know that Google will cover for a certain list of countries being part of the VAT. However, we would still need to remit taxes to Canada and US authorities. My first question is : Must we remit taxes to the US authorities, and what are the rates if applicable?

So that would cover us for Google Play. What about Apple? We know that Apple will remit taxes for both canadian taxes GST and QST. My question is : Must we remit taxes to the US authorities and other countries being part of the VAT or is Apple doing everything for us?

Another question that travels my mind is concerning revenues made with Unity Ads. I know it sounds silly but do we have to pay taxes based on this revenue?

Thanks a lot! - Sam :)

PS : By taxes, I mean « sales tax » like Value Added Tax. I know that we'll have to pay income tax like every individual until we incorporate our company.

2. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

You most definitely do have to pay income tax, I'm not certain however about VAT, and sales tax in Canada. I believe in the US the only tax owed for the most part when doing advertisement based revenue is to pay tax in the form of income to the state and federal government, with no sales tax. HOWEVER to best answer your question, if you're going into business unincorporated OR incorporated hire a CPA, or the Canadian equivalent to a CPA (certified public accountant). It will pay for itself, and you will avoid getting into legal trouble.