Search Unity

Can you use this with Steam?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by frosted, Jun 6, 2015.

1. frosted

frosted

I just want to make sure that there won't be any problems when using this on desktop machines when steamworks is active?

It seems extremely mobile focused. Are there any considerations worth noting here?

Are there better options if you're looking to collect data from a steam game? I'm not doing IAP so a lot of the options/reports just don't really seem to apply to my game.

I am mostly interested in using this to get a better idea of what they're doing in game to help balance content and to see if certain events are leading to players quitting a given session.

Also, is it possible to download the entire dataset in bulk, that way I'd be able to really crunch serious numbers?

Any plans for some rough realtime data, even if its just like a 'active players' list?

Also, are there any plans for displaying hardware specs? It'd be very useful to see this information and it's clearly captured.

EDIT -
    So after waiting almost 20 hours, my first batch of data finally arrived (from me testing). Some stuff seems a little weird.

I have 3 custom events, the list of events in the 'integration' tab confirm that these 3 custom events should be firing and were received.

Under the metrics section though, I only have the option to select one of the 3 custom events the other two aren't even listed. When selecting the one available custom event, It says there is no data.

Currently I probably only fired these events like 3-4 times while testing some stuff. Is there some kind of minimum number until they're properly displayed?

.. EDIT .. so now the correct list of custom events is showing up. It seems none have data. I imagine that this might be updated shortly. Having these things come in staggered and piecemeal is a little confusing for a new user.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. frosted

frosted

So my data is all finally there, it's nice seeing some charts and stuff - even if it's just debug data. Some of the parameters took over 10 hours to show up (after the update triggered) - so it took around 30+ hours for me to see the results of my debug code. I have to assume this is just a weekend/beta hicup.

Again, are there any problems related to this being active with Steamworks? I doubt it, but I want to make sure.

I'm currently about 2 months away from my early access release. So I'm in the process of slowly expanding my play test pool to include more players.

Having this kind of data collection is invaluable for me to be able to adjust and balance content. But in terms of this 'pre release' period especially, it's going to be important to be able to look over the data in more detail than if I had thousands of users. I'm wondering if there are any suggestions for how to accomplish this?

I have a background in heavy data processing, having worked in financial services for a long time, so my expectations of data analysis might be a little too high. But I see the value in this service, and I'm trying to figure out how to use it to achieve the goals I have.

3. sschan

sschan

Hi @frosted - Regarding your questions:

1. There are no issue with using Unity Analytics on Steam. We currently support the following platforms:
    • Mobile - iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8.1
    • Desktop - Windows, Windows 8.1, Mac, and Linux
    2. We are actively working on raw data export and will post to the Forum when it’s ready.:D

3. We are considering some sort of realtime metrics. If you have any feedback on this please jot it down here.

4. We are actively working on Device Intelligence. This was mentioned in the Unite Europe keynote. For more info check it out here.