Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Can you use TextmeshPro with the regular transform component?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by petey, Oct 10, 2021.

1. petey

petey

Hi there,

I was just wondering, is there a way to use the Text Mesh Pro component, with the standard Transform component rather than the Rect Transform? I thought you could just remove it but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks!
    Pete

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

No, now that TextMeshPro implements the ILayoutElement interface, it has to have a Rect Transform. However, you can still access its transform property in code.

3. petey

petey

Thanks, well it’s good to know you can get to the transform.
    I just find rect transforms really annoying. :(

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

A RectTransform is used as we need some type of container to define the bounds (width and height).

What specific part of using a RectTransform do you find annoying?

5. petey

petey

Hey Stephen, thanks, that makes sense.

I guess a few of my annoyances are -
    I have to make sure any of my scripts that use Transform are also checking for RectTransform components and handling them independently.
    Width and Height have to be zeroed out for any object that doesn't use it, or it gets in the way of screen picking. This is all the time for me, unless I'm using TMPro because I use a lot of 3d in my UI. (Canvas also gets in the way of screen picking, Sort of off topic though).
    Also RectTransform is some kind of unusual class so it's hard to write editor scripts to help out. https://forum.unity.com/threads/rec...-of-unity-recttransform-custom-editor.455925/

And, now that there's a new new UI system on the horizon, is canvas and RectTransform even sticking around?

I'm just at the point where I want to simplify my workflow as much as possible so moving back to just transform would be nice.