Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Join us on Dec 8, 2022, between 7 am & 7 pm EST, in the DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A forum, Discord, and Unity3D Subreddit to learn more about DOTS directly from the Unity Developers.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you use a Unity Game Project as your own?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by faulknordonald, Sep 1, 2022.

1. faulknordonald

faulknordonald

Can you build onto a Creator Kit/Tutorial and distribute the game as your own for profit? What does the license say about this?

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

Actually, you're not allowed to do it.
    https://unity.com/legal/as-terms

People did exact that thing in the past, it was called an asset flip. There was some backlash, and I suppose at some point the license was changed. This clause wasn't there before.

3. faulknordonald

faulknordonald

Ok. Thank You. Just wanted to check. Hopefully I gain the skills I need to build my own from scratch! lol

4. neginfinity

neginfinity

You don't have to build from scratch, just don't resell unmodified thing while calling it yours.

DragonCoder likes this.
  5. faulknordonald

faulknordonald

Well, that was the original question. "Can you build onto"... basically meaning to modify it.

6. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

What would the purpose of the asset store be if you would not be allowed to? :)

"substantial content" will be interpreted generously because Unity doesn't have reason to deter new creators. It's just that there are extreme cases (often professionally organized) who just take the tutorial and turn it in as a product right away.
    Also mind you that coding, lore, gameplay etc. are all content too.

Without knowing what kit/tutorial you are eyeing exactly, it's hard to tell exactly what is required to be substantial. Usually if you can genuinely say that you put passion into the project, it'll be enough because you just won't be happy solely with what the asset or tutorial provides.

Btw. do yourself a favor and do not think about monetization with your first project. You'll only get disappointed and frustrated. ;)

warthos3399 and koirat like this.
  7. koirat

koirat

Gold.

8. kdgalla

kdgalla

9. neginfinity

neginfinity

Then I misread.

You can buy a kit from asset store, modify it and sell as a game.
    You can't buy a kit from asset story, and sell as is as a game unmodified.

10. faulknordonald

faulknordonald

Thanks. Actually, monetization (actually making money) isn't the motive behind it. I was going to use the opportunity of monetizing it to learn how... including in-app purchases, ads, etc. I know very well I shouldn't be worrying about monetization. As a web developer, my first 30+ websites didn't make a dime lol.

And, if I do release any games using creator kits or whatever, I would include substantial content besides just what the kit offers. And I'd include some of my own code as well. I just have to learn C#.

DragonCoder likes this.
  11. faulknordonald

faulknordonald

Ok, great. Thanks. I would never want to resell a game as built by someone else. lol what's the fun in that?