Search Unity

Can you please provide a UI layout API?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Xelnath, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Xelnath

Xelnath

Yet again, Unity has some minor problem and it makes the custom editor layout I had meticulously setup invalid. (Compilation error, serialization bug, doesn't matter what... it happens constantly).

Can you please just provide an API so I can push one button, and it will let my define in code exactly the orientation of the hierarchy, default settings, size and position of the inspector, as well as what custom windows exist and *where* on the screen they are anchored?

I am really sick and tired of losing my layouts *and* not being able to solve this problem for myself. This would also make it easier to create custom tools that right now take forever to setup.

Please help

SugoiDev likes this.
  2. Baste

Baste

You can save your layout in the drop-down menu in the upper right corner of the editor.

Being able to have more control over the editor window's positioning and what's tabbed next to what and such would be nice, though.

Xelnath likes this.
  3. Xelnath

Xelnath

This isn't good enough. Half the time it doesn't work because it can't remember what window existed where (temporary compilation error wiped out its knowledge of the class that was instantiated in the window pane) - and furthermore you cannot use it to generate new layouts for new team members or rapidly swap between custom layout for different roles.

e.g. We know we have a default layout that artists find useful that hides designer data by shrinking the inspector but shows a custom panel with detailed shader information for the currently selected object.

You can't share that kind of thing between users easily - so its far better to just have a 'push a button to set it up this way' - but Unity despite all of its customization denies this.