Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you please estimate how long will it take to make that game from scratch?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Ts1nd, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Ts1nd

Ts1nd

I am planning to create simple RTS like game with following rules:
    - just 1 area with uniform background (like grass etc.)
    - camera locked above battle arena with no ability to move or rotate
    - few 3D characters with animations of attack, move, turn and dodge
    - left mouse click will select character, right mouse click will issue move order
    - right clicking enemy will issue move order towards enemy (with tracking and correcting path if enemy is moving too) and once in range will start attacking it
    - circles under characters indicating whether ally or enemy as well as floating HP bar above characters
    - ability to pause game and issue orders

The closest to it I would say would be games with real time tactical combat such as Pillars Of Eternity.

When it comes to mechanics (damage, defense, hit chance, action speed, abilities etc.) I have it all done in Python so it's a matter of migrating it to C#.

How much effort will it take for me to make it given I have 0 experience with C# and Unity (haven't even installed it yet)?

Is it good engine to make that kind of game?

Is there a template of something similar that I could use as starting point? No idea how to even start.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

How long it takes to complete any project depends on your experience/ability and available time to put into it, as well as of course the difficulty of the project. 90% (maybe more?) of projects started are never finished at all.

You have your mechanics worked out in Python, so that's good. But you have no experience with C# or Unity, so that doesn't bode well. Incidentally Unity is a fine engine for this sort of game (though you could also do it in Mini Micro if you make sprites out of your characters!). And there is no good RTS template that I know of; if it were me, I'd write it from scratch.

So if we assume you work on this maybe 5-10 hours/week, then I'd guess, maybe a month to learn the basics of Unity, 2 months to make some unrelated practice game (the code of which will no doubt be complete junk, and teach you what not to do), and then 6 months to rough out the game you described above.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Yes Unity is a good engine for this. How long this takes depends on how quick you pick up the engine, and how good you are at problem solving. For someone inexperienced, I'd say 6 months to a year working on it part time for a single player game with basic functionality, and no polish. You didn't mention if this was multiplayer, but if so then multiply the estimated time by 3.

JoeStrout likes this.