Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you please at least release 9 Slice feature?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by Foriero, Aug 16, 2016.

?

Do you need 9 slice ASAP?

1. Yes ( Please release ASAP )

89.4%
  2. No ( I can wait when all 2D feature set is ready and released )

10.6%
  1. Foriero

Foriero

Please help us to vote here. 9 Slice for spites is so fundamental feature that it can be released independently on the whole 2D feature set. Thank you for voting.

2. enhawk

enhawk

I agree with you, it's been "complete" since 2015 as far as the betas go. However there's probably a good reason (collision? bounds?) that integrate with the rest of the 2D system that's holding it back. Looking forward to it when it's good and ready to be in normal Unity.

3. ColossalPaul

ColossalPaul

Unity Technologies

wow, nice. This is why. We are working on the collider integration. So close...

4. ColossalPaul

ColossalPaul

Unity Technologies

Btw, we are not making 1-big-version-with-everything-in-it. As soon as any of these features are ready, it will go.

5. Foriero

Foriero

Hi Paul, may be some small road map similar to your Unity road map but just 2D features?

6. amzin7000

amzin7000

In my project 9-sliced sprites, and a few of the newer 2d features are practically essential and there are quite a few things I can't finish without them. Any estimation when they are going to be released? Are we going to have to wait all the way until unity 5.5 for this to be a thing? Any responses would be very appreciated.

So basically is this gonna be a thing in a matter of a few months months or next year?

7. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Sorry to say, but it will not be in 5.5 since that is feature complete right now and planned to be released soonish. Adding features late in the beta is not good practice.

Any other scheduling info is for the 2D team to comment on.

8. amzin7000

amzin7000

Thanks Schubkraft. Yeah I haven't really had the time to look at the beta so I didn't know. Unfortunately looks like we're not getting these features anytime in the next few months as I'd hoped. I'd probably like a better estimate on the release date before I decide what to do, but guess I'll probably have no choice but to code a substitute component instead and wait until then.

9. Foriero

Foriero

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  10. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

RockyWallbanger likes this.