Search Unity

Resolved Can you modify Spine skeleton in Unity?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Skelbo, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Skelbo

Skelbo

Not sure if this is the right section, or even forum, to ask this in, so correct me if I'm wrong. I just needed some help in case anyone is familiar with Spine software because I can't find this answer anywhere.

I had someone rig a character and make some animations for me in Spine and then I imported them in Unity. They play fine but I can't seem to edit the skeleton bones. I thought it would be possible to use the same rigged character and edit the bones in Unity's Skinning Editor.
    I'm not familiar with Spine at all but I've tried out the skinning editor before a bit, so I wanted to make new animations through it, based on the already provided bone setup. Can someone clarify if this isn't possible to do with exported Spine files or guide me on how to access it in Unity?

2. Unrighteouss

Unrighteouss

Hello,

I do not believe it is possible to modify Spine bones or animations inside of Unity. However, to be absolutely sure you can ask in this forum: http://esotericsoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=42b9f4a23192cddc412ca910002cd5bd

Esoteric Software is the company that makes Spine, and they are usually very helpful in answering any questions posted in their forums.

I'll also give you a heads up in case you were unaware; you actually need a Spine license in order to use the Spine-Unity runtime in a commercial project. You can bypass this by having the Spine animations exported as a sprite sheet, but rigs with swappable parts or smooth transitions will require a Spine license to use legally.

3. Skelbo

Skelbo

Thanks for the answer. I did post a question on that forum too but took a while to get a response. Indeed, it seems it's not possible to edit Spine files in Unity. I just wish the devs made it clear in documentation. I wasted so much time trying to figure it out.

Unrighteouss likes this.