Search Unity

Can you make a cinematic on Maya and import into Unity

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Tezelian, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Tezelian

Tezelian

Can you make a cinematic on Maya and import into Unity?

I want to make cinematic on Maya and import it into Unity and then add interactivity later

Basically is it possible to import animation or cinematic converted into avi on unity

Suggestions would be nice

Thanks

2. Pirs01

Pirs01

3. Tezelian

Tezelian

Thanks

A cinematic is like a cut scene for a game so for example after you complete a game, or right at the beginning before you take control of a character a cut scene is played where the player has no control, where the eye just follows the camera, story and movie.

When I download Unity I will try to import simple animation created on Maya, but I would like to also import the camera so that when the player clicks "start" it just begins with the animation I made on Maya with the camera settings and everything

Or would it be better to just model everything on Maya without animating and bring the models into Unity to animate and create a cut-scene in Unity?

Is it easier to animate and create a cut scene on Unity using MAYA models or making and importing the entire cut-scene from MAYA is more advisable?

4. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Yes, you can playback video on Unity. Use RenderTextures.

5. arkon

arkon

You need to avoid them if you are targeting mobile. You will just bloat out your game size. You need to create your cinematic cut scenes inside the editor using the engine.

6. Tezelian

Tezelian

Thank you, I'll try it and let you guys know what happens.

My cut scene will be part of a game for pc not mobile so it should be fine. So I should create the cinematic using Unity editor instead of Maya? Thanks I'll look into both ways. .

This will be part of my final year project where I want to create an interactive cut scene you find in games where the player follows the cut-scene but at certain points has to click/press a button to open a door or can move the camera 1st person... Any books and suggestions on how to do this with unity would be nice as I am quite new to this software.

7. Pirs01

Pirs01