Search Unity

Can you install Unity on Zorin OS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hyperkvlt, Apr 5, 2021.

1. hyperkvlt

hyperkvlt

After getting many errors and corrupt apps on my window (either malware or virus) these days

I was thinking changing into linux.

Other than Ubuntu 18 and 16.

Can you install it on the other version?

What about ubuntu based OS like Zorin?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. Just be aware that Unity only officially supports Ubuntu so if you run into problems you may very well be on your own solving them.

While it's possible it's malware it's also possible that your hard drive is starting to fail as this is one of several early warning signs for it. If this is happening regularly I highly recommend backing up your important files as soon as possible.

https://www.securedatarecovery.com/services/hard-drive-recovery/warning-signs-of-hard-drive-failure

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity tests against just the OS's they advertise support for. Currently that is CentOS 7, Ubuntu 20.04, and Ubuntu 18.04.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/system-requirements.html

Compatibility with any other Linux distro would depend on if things Unity uses are different enough from these supported versions for them to break. I would expect any distro which is directly based on any of these 3 to work, though you may need to make slight changes to any steps or instructions, and you'll either have to figure out these changes on your own or rely on your excellent googlfu skills (as with basically everything with Linux).

Distro's with a far different lineage I would expect significant problems.

Ryiah likes this.
  4. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I have a feeling ZorinOS is based off Debian or Ubuntu so it should in theory work. As other's have said though it isn't officially supported.

Best I can suggest is getting the Unity Hub AppImage and installing Unity with that, seems to work for me every time.

Rujash and Joe-Censored like this.