Search Unity

Can you have a pre-win 10 exe on the windows store?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by MarcusTheMainMan, Apr 5, 2019.

1. MarcusTheMainMan

MarcusTheMainMan

I have been trying to figure this out for 2 weeks. I have googled it and all.

I have app on the windows store. they were done in unity, sent over to vidual studio, packed into 86/64/arm packages and uploaded to the windows store. From when I understand a person needs windows 10 to use them (if not let me know). So, I was wondering if you could also upload a pre-windows 10 exe to the windows store as well. I heard you could. If so, then how?

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Unity dropped support for Windows 8.1 Store apps in 2017.1. I also believe Microsoft stopped accepting Windows 8.1 apps to the store as well.

3. MarcusTheMainMan

MarcusTheMainMan

Unity still lets you build to windows EXE files. Also unity lets you export to windows store SLN (via visual studio where you package them and upload them). So I think you misunderstood.

I heard that Microsoft now allows people to post pre-windows 10 exe apps to the windows store (which is why it's no longer called the windows 10 store). This doesn't mean windows 8 or 8.1 (or does it?). So I was wondering if you could post a pre-windows 10 exe on the Microsoft store for people that do not have windows 10 to download and use.

This is from Wikipedia (and we know they are never ever wrong about anything)
    Web apps and traditional desktop software can be packaged for distribution on Windows Store. Desktop software distributed through Windows Store are packaged using the App-V system to allow sandboxing.[16][17]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Oh, you mean Win32 applications (Windows Standalone build target)? Those can be submitted to the windows store through the desktop bridge: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bridges/desktop

I don't know if anyone actually tried to do that, though. And I also don't know if they can be downloaded from the Windows Store if you use something else than Windows 10.

5. MarcusTheMainMan

MarcusTheMainMan

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. I looked at this page
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-root

and in the 3rd paragraph it says this
    "Aside from the code that you use to light up Windows 10 experiences, your application remains unchanged and you can continue to distribute it to your existing Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP user base. On Windows 10, your application continues to run in full-trust user mode just like it’s doing today."

So it seems like it you can take a win32 exe, add win 10 features and sell on the windows store. That windows users that do not have win 10 can download. Although this could also mean that the new ap can be given out to present users but only windows 10 users can download from the windows store. a bit vague there.

Now has anyone done this and is there a guide to help?