Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you earn more for cryptocurrency mining than game development?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Jun 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arowx

Arowx

You probably have a decent powered computer with a decent GPU. Your GPU can be used to mine cryptocurrency and depending on hardware you can earn money.

So I've done a quick test run with my aging GPU and it manages to do about 20 Mega hashes a second, which could earn me about 2-3$ a day (Ethereum).

Now this can run 24/7 and therefore as long as the power is cheaper than the profit from mining could pay me more than indie game development does (solar panels maybe?)!

It's a sad state of affairs when your computer on it's own can earn more than you can using it!

Or is this just a variation on Automation and overcrowded markets?

PS If you have looked for and found that no modern mid to low tier GPU's are in stock, the Cryptocurrency mining boom is why!

Or could you use your aging GPU to mine enough to buy a new GPU, then again is your old GPU worth more second hand due to the mining boom?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    bakerlisa510 likes this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yet you likely have nothing even remotely close to the hardware found in a normal mining rig.

Titan Mining Rig.jpg

Meltdown likes this.
  3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Unrelated to unity or game development. If one is unsuccessful monetarily at game development there are literally thousands of other ways to make money.

theANMATOR2b, Kiwasi and frosted like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.