Search Unity

Question Can you create AR animated emissive gradient volumes with transparency in Unity?

Discussion in 'AR' started by TemerePerito, Feb 26, 2023.

1. TemerePerito

TemerePerito

Good morning!

I hear from many that Unity AR is the best and easiest AR generating platform this side of the light spectrum. Is it really true?

Can I create an AR object like the double rainbow image below in Unity AR?

Technically speaking, I want to create an object that is: animated, emissive, transparent gradient volume. Think: rainbows, flames, mirages, ghosts, reflections (like in water where you can still see the water, not like in a mirror.)

Because, I've been all over the AR map looking to produce such an object. Absolutely zero luck so far. With confirmation from experts in various non-Unity arenas.

Now before all of you (us ;-) Unity fans shout, "Yes! Of course you can you fungus brained fool." (Hummmm...Too much, The Last of Us?) I would love to see proof.

Some examples anywhere? Let's just say that after many months of losing many years exploring WebAR and Unreal AR, I've become a raving lunatic cynic.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read my post. (Huh. Am I really assuming Beyonce Superbowl levels of readers? hahaha Right.)

And to all you kind-genius-angels that reply, I profess my ocean-like gratitude for your time and efforts.

Cheers!
    alexandAR the grateful

2. TemerePerito

TemerePerito

Oh my god! Still not a single reply. Does this mean:

1) It is impossible to create an animated, emissive, transparent gradient volume AR object in Unity.

2) I'm a terrible communicator.

3) All of you are creating objects like rainbows, mirages, flames right now! But you are all just pranking me.

I suppose I will put some money where my mouth is and try to hire someone to do a sample for me. Any takers here before I head off to the Unity Markets?

To all of you that read my question, thank you for taking time to read my post. I love this community!

Cheers,
    alexandAR the slouching towards success

3. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @TemerePerito,

Mostly, this question has to do with shader programming for mobile platforms, and not AR specifically.

In terms of how to render this volume, you might want to ask this question in our Graphics forum: https://forum.unity.com/forums/general-graphics.76/

If you have any issues with spatial awareness, ie placing this prefab on an AR plane or anchoring it to a position in physical space, the AR forum users can definitely help.

4. TemerePerito

TemerePerito

Good morning AndyB!

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me. Especially since I seem to be in a donut shop looking to buy some fresh salmon! hahaha I obviously have a lot to learn here.

I will follow up with the graphics forum and see what they say. I am very much hoping to be able to use Unity for my AR aspirations. Especially as I want to use it for VR also. And, wow!!! people sure do love Unity. What are you serving in your cafeteria? Huh. Must be dinner time in my house. Grilled salmon steaks on chocolate covered candy sprinkle donuts? A delicacy here ;-)

Wishing you a great evening and success in all your endeavors!

Cheers,
    AlexandAR the hungry